Worklog An attempt to recreate the PS2 PCB

Dang, that looks really nice. Love the PS2 development on the discord/forums lately. I was looking into doing this at some point as well, but your research on the motherboard is way ahead of mine haha. Looking forward to this!

Glad you liked it and thanks for the comment. Are you the one who created a purple pcb with custom regulators? I remember it was because of a bitbuilt member called The Drew that I started working with pcbs, since then I've been learning. That purple pcb with TPS regulators was an inspiration to me.

Glad you liked it and thanks for the comment. Are you the one who created a purple pcb with custom regulators? I remember it was because of a bitbuilt member called The Drew that I started working with pcbs, since then I've been learning. That purple pcb with TPS regulators was an inspiration to me.
Haha, if it looked like this then that was me on a PS2 portable I was working on a couple years ago. I was just learning PCB design myself then actually.
20200202_172334.jpg

the pcb is 82.06mm x 80.87mm.
That's awesome! I was going to do a crazy trim on a board so I can fit it behind a 5" screen but it would require relocating the Video DAC and relocating the ethernet ic. Which is why I was looking into redesigning the PS2 as well. This was the trim on a dead board:
IMG_0541.jpg

Really awesome project though, definitely looking forward to updates!

5319CA51-FCDD-4AFE-BFEC-A3198516EA46.jpeg
Starting some component removal tests to make sure the layout follows correctly. First I will remove the stand-by regulators from the 79003, if it works I will remove the switching MOSFET from the 8.5V voltages, and finally some capacitors and resistors from other parts of the board.

MOSFET FOR 8.5V VOLTAGE SWITCHING SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED.
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 16.36.27.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 16.53.37.jpeg

1.8V AND 3.3V REGULATORS SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED.
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 15.52.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 16.53.46.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 15.50.14.jpeg

Components removed and Playstaion 2 worked perfectly, with that I gain a bigger space in the PCB and saving in the BOM of components.

Sem PS2.png

Now we have custom regulators built into the PCB, I want to thank @Gman for making his Wii PMS available, it was of great help for my learning in pcbs and has been useful for my projects. Now I want to implement the USB-C PD with usb data multiplezer, but due to the shortage of components, I can't find the STUSB4500 anywhere.

I would like your help to find a USB-C PD and Data Multiplexer project to integrate into this project.

@modio Thank you for your enthusiasm and help on this project.

Portables
View attachment 21535
Now we have custom regulators built into the PCB, I want to thank @Gman for making his Wii PMS available, it was of great help for my learning in pcbs and has been useful for my projects. Now I want to implement the USB-C PD with usb data multiplezer, but due to the shortage of components, I can't find the STUSB4500 anywhere.

I would like your help to find a USB-C PD and Data Multiplexer project to integrate into this project.

@modio Thank you for your enthusiasm and help on this project.
All credit goes to you man I’m just helping with providing the parts needed. This is going to be amazing once you finish it.

THERE ARE SO MANY IDEAS, I HOPE THEY FIT ON THE PCB.

And the updates continue. The pcb won the custom regulators, but I don't see this power system being powered by connectors or wires, so I added a USB-C PD, using IP2721, simple and reliable, with ESD protections, I've been thinking about putting a data multiplexer, but I'm still working on it. I also put the UAMP, I can't see this project using analog audio, but I still left everything needed for the analog audio, this will be optional for the user, I also added a flat cable connector with the ypbpr video tracks, auto- speakers, volume control, rgb led tracks among other necessary tracks that will communicate with the pcb all in one that has the screen driver and other features.

ps2pcb.png

ps2ghjg.png

ps2dsgf.png

ps2sfsv.png

Attachments

bns

WOAH! This is very cool!
A couple questions, will you have a parts list for resistors/caps/etc that are needed for this or will we need to transplant everything from a donor ps2? also about video from the ps2 to the display driver, you mentioned that it will be using YPbPr and that the display driver board will have a RTD2660, does that chip support YPbPr natively or are you adapting it from YPbPr to hdmi or something?

Also I have been waiting for years for someone as talented as you to do some crazy mod like this you are godsend!

Last edited:
WOAH! This is very cool!
A couple questions, will you have a parts list for resistors/caps/etc that are needed for this or will we need to transplant everything from a donor ps2? also about video from the ps2 to the display driver, you mentioned that it will be using YPbPr and that the display driver board will have a RTD2660, does that chip support YPbPr natively or are you adapting it from YPbPr to hdmi or something?

Also I have been waiting for years for someone as talented as you to do some crazy mod like this you are godsend!

Glad you liked it. You can find here in bitbuilt in the part of the forum dedicated to Sony the mappings I made of the 79k and 90k with all voltages and components identified, I used a very cheap and reliable component tester found on Chinese sales sites to find out the value of each one of the peripheral components, and I can buy these new components or transplant them directly from the PS2, but I prefer to buy new ones, since the PS2 is more than 10 years old. The RTD2660 is a very common but excellent chip, it has Ypbpr natively, for that you have to have a compatible firmware, luckily the handheld console community in my country has a member, an amazing guy whose nickname is "Epaminondas" he is responsible for great feats, one of them is writing a firmware that enables Ypbpr on the RTD2660, so joining the hardware with his firmware is possible and Ypbpr is already in use. The EYOYO 5" screen module also has this Ypbpr function, as already highlighted here on the forum. About this feat in mapping and extracting the PS2 schematic, it was a challenge that they made me, I was told that it was impossible and that I would not be able to , so I did and proved that the impossible is just the opinion of those who don't try or simply don't want the success of the other, if you want something just work and do it, I did it because this is every modder's dream and mine too, but I didn't do it alone, this forum as well as the modder community in my country were vital for this project, with all inspiration, knowledge and shared projects.