PS2 Ultra Slim

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
you didnt answer the second question, i want to MODIFY THE CASE to suit other boards, all i want is some measurements so i can edit it in blender.
I clearly did answer all your questions, if you actually read my answer you'd understand this.

Regardless I will elaborate, you cannot modify the case to fit other models. With other models of PS2 Slims, the motherboards take up the entire XY footprint of the original shell. There is not a way to fit that in this project. You can't trim down the motherboards either since they don't trim down much smaller at all.

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Thanks so much to Wesk for getting this project going i have been loving every second of it. i have been testing the limits of what i can do and also trying a few new things. so, for my build I hard wired the FreeMcboot and SIO2SD pcb's directly to the board using the toggle switch system Wesk came up with. i re designed the bottom tray to hold both pcb's so they are snug and secure. i also am working on adding HDMI capability using an amazon HDMI adapter. i looked and found the smallest one i could find to help with space i will post some pics as i go here is a few. if anyone has questions or is wanting to try these let me know.

Attachments

A quick update:

I'm currently working on improvements to the design by adding features such as a switch to enable/disable the SD card slot so to allow the 2nd memory card port to be functional again, and to have an optional shell that incorporates a rotatable PS2 logo.
View attachment 25414

I'm also renaming the project from PS2 Super Slim to PS2 Ultra Slim due to parts of the internet referring to the OEM 9k PS2 units as the Superslim (Even though they are the same size as regular slims View attachment 25415)
could you add an hdmi in there also

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Thanks so much to Wesk for getting this project going i have been loving every second of it. i have been testing the limits of what i can do and also trying a few new things. so, for my build I hard wired the FreeMcboot and SIO2SD pcb's directly to the board using the toggle switch system Wesk came up with. i re designed the bottom tray to hold both pcb's so they are snug and secure. i also am working on adding HDMI capability using an amazon HDMI adapter. i looked and found the smallest one i could find to help with space i will post some pics as i go here is a few. if anyone has questions or is wanting to try these let me know.
Nice ideas here!
I'm wondering if you'll be working to retain analog outputs as well with this? I think its good to have options. Would be nice to have a PS2 setup that can be used for capture + output to a CRT or something!

Also, side note unrelated to this, could be worth looking into a proper HDMI output mod that taps into the digital RGB signals. I believe PS2Digital is a thing thats happening soon, might be worth seeing if the creator is willing to put the work in to get it working on 79k slims if possible. I imagine if all the needed signals are still accessible on the board, just needs a new flex PCB made for the 79k

mknrls

Nice ideas here!
I'm wondering if you'll be working to retain analog outputs as well with this? I think its good to have options. Would be nice to have a PS2 setup that can be used for capture + output to a CRT or something!

Also, side note unrelated to this, could be worth looking into a proper HDMI output mod that taps into the digital RGB signals. I believe PS2Digital is a thing thats happening soon, might be worth seeing if the creator is willing to put the work in to get it working on 79k slims if possible. I imagine if all the needed signals are still accessible on the board, just needs a new flex PCB made for the 79k
Other option would to use @YveltalGriffin Shinobi Scaler and used VGA to HDMI Adapter if needed

Nice ideas here!

So where I’m hot wiring the green boot card into it that analog port is basically for show now but with the sd reader I’m still using the toggle switch wesk designed so you can still use port two normally if needed

secondary the hdmi I’m not entirely sure what you mean. I use the adapter I bought then solder it straight to the board where the Video output connects to the board but this still retains both the original output along with the added hdmi out put but if what your saying is better I would love to know more

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Looks like you typed your response in the quote, had me confused for a second! Lol

Anyway, to elaborate, these HDMI adapter boards convert the *analog* video signal thats normally output through the video out jack on the back of the console to HDMI. These usually come with some latency and image quality issues depending on the adapter. The best option for low latency and high quality output would be a mod that takes the digital video signals that are output by the PS2 hardware, before they're converted to the usual analog ones, and converts those. There is one in the works by citrus3000psi, same guy who made the DCDigital mod. I think its for fat PS2s though? Not 100% sure about that. What I'm saying is it may be worth getting in touch with him and see if he'd be willing to consider working on a version of it for 79k slims, or seeing if it'd be possible to adapt the existing hardware whenever it comes out.

Looks like you typed your response in the quote, had me confused for a second! Lol

Anyway, to elaborate, these HDMI adapter boards convert the *analog* video signal thats normally output through the video out jack on the back of the console to HDMI. These usually come with some latency and image quality issues depending on the adapter. The best option for low latency and high quality output would be a mod that takes the digital video signals that are output by the PS2 hardware, before they're converted to the usual analog ones, and converts those. There is one in the works by citrus3000psi, same guy who made the DCDigital mod. I think its for fat PS2s though? Not 100% sure about that. What I'm saying is it may be worth getting in touch with him and see if he'd be willing to consider working on a version of it for 79k slims, or seeing if it'd be possible to adapt the existing hardware whenever it comes out.
ya for sure that would beee dope still probably above my skill set but who knows i never thought i would be soldering motherboards either haha. but there is definitely some quality differences in those adapters but this one i have seems to be better then the last one i had so we will see.

i have 2 extra 79xxx so i have room to experiment. i would love to build one of these into a laptop form thats got a battery supply and dedicated screen for portablity but no need to start another project before i finish this one lol

Check my post on the previous page how I did it, I posted a pic.
I bought a generic box of different momentary switches and I liked this one where I’m attaching the button to the top lid I used a two wire connector so I can disconnect the power switch this is just how I did it

ya for sure that would beee dope still probably above my skill set but who knows i never thought i would be soldering motherboards either haha. but there is definitely some quality differences in those adapters but this one i have seems to be better then the last one i had so we will see.

i have 2 extra 79xxx so i have room to experiment. i would love to build one of these into a laptop form thats got a battery supply and dedicated screen for portablity but no need to start another project before i finish this one lol
Just finished up soldering on my hdmi board and creating a new spot for the power switch. Gonna make the ps logo on the front become the power button with leds

Attachments

So, I'm a total neophyte with hardware mods. I've done some repair jobs in my day but this is more or less into the breach for me. The algorithm brought this mod to my attention and it just so happens my PS2 Slim is, in fact, a 79001. So I'm thinking about doing this but I had a few questions before I rip the proverbial band-aid off here:

1) I'm really into the idea of wiring in and soldering a SD adapter into the side, as Tito did on his build, but I wasn't sure if doing that would still neccesitate buying one of Helder's MC2SIO cards (because it looks like its a no-solder version of what I want to do with mine).

2) Passing similarity to the first question, I've never used FMCB or set up OPL (I've ran stock all these years since I used to own a Phat), so I don't know what I need to buy in terms of getting it set up. I've set up 2-3 handhelds for homebrew and a Wii but it's been awhile since I've done one so I want to know how much work has to be done before I take a Dremel to the PCB and get to soldering the SD adapter. Actually, if you know what I need to search for on Amazon to get the thin gauge, colored wires Tito has in his build that'd be great too. Haven't soldered wires since I installed a car radio, lol.

3) I also noticed on Tito's build that there was no obvious LED status indicator (POWER/STANDBY light) and I was wondering if that was an aesthetic choice or not. I'd rather find a way to reincorporate it somehow instead of leaving it off and wanted to know what would need to be done to reintegrate it (as in, where would I re-solder the LED to the PCB if need be and if there's already somewhere on the print that allows for the light to be placed and tell you if the PS2 is on or not).

4) The main reason I was thinking about this build is because the disc drive on my Slim seems to have a hard time recognizing when a disc is being read. It'll load a game, stop spinning the disc, and I have to continuously open and close the tray to get through stutters and errors. Could that potentially be an error caused by the lid switch (meaning I'd need to replace it to even get the build started) or is it something else?

5) I've heard scuttlebutt about other parts being integrated, such as HDMI conversion and I believe Bluetooth for controllers and wondered if there was anybody who had experience with that, namely the HDMI. It is the year 2023, after all, and you don't really have many TVs that still use A/V output. Could save me a lot of headaches down the line if I could find a way to integrate the A/V to HDMI dongle I've had for years (and possibly use the system itself to power it instead of the 1 USB slot I'd have).

Thanks for any help and advice you could offer -- I may need to move to another country soon and being able to take the 2 with me (with more modern conveniences) would be awesome.
seems like everything your wanting is something im doing i hardwired the free mcboot card and the mx4sio card directly to the board and am also going to be adding a plethora of leds. as far as hdmi i bought an adapter and opened it up and also hard wired it to the mother board my wife is playing god of war on it as i type this. i know this isnt a proper way to do hdmi but like you said most tvs dont have av componet cables. if your disc drive is not working perfect you dont need it anyways. i also bought a pack of computer wires to solder everything together and it worked fine titos video was all i used to do mine and he gives you all the info you really need

Attachments

seems like everything your wanting is something im doing i hardwired the free mcboot card and the mx4sio card directly to the board and am also going to be adding a plethora of leds. as far as hdmi i bought an adapter and opened it up and also hard wired it to the mother board my wife is playing god of war on it as i type this. i know this isnt a proper way to do hdmi but like you said most tvs dont have av componet cables. if your disc drive is not working perfect you dont need it anyways. i also bought a pack of computer wires to solder everything together and it worked fine titos video was all i used to do mine and he gives you all the info you really need
Okay, so as I'm looking at the photos you have, did you make any adjustments to the .stl file that you'd be okay with sharing? It looks like you have a dedicated opening for the HDMI much like I planned on doing instead of the AV slot... but I'm a CS nerd that studied frontend in college so I wouldn't know my head from my ass on how to do it myself in CAD (and PCBWay's already gonna charge me a solid $150 for the shell in the translucent blue look I want, so I'd like to stick to a model someone else vetted out and knows works). As for the connections, I figured I'd be hacking up my PS2toHDMI but if you have info on how you did the wiring to connect it to the removed USB2 (or if you connected it to the mobo proper) that'd be huge.

And how about your memcard slots? If you've got FMCB in Slot1 and MC2SIO in Slot2, did you use the killswitch method Tito used to allow usage of Slot2 to copy savefiles from a memcard? Better to have the option in case you have to make backups, yeah?

So starting at the end yes I used the kill switch but since the adapter I used was a ps2 memory card I wired it a little different. It still works but you need to use the kill switch and remove the sd card.

Now as far as the files absolutely I would love to share them with you. I will also link the specific adapter I used as I have built proper mounts for it. Now the way I did it was I added the hdmi but it still retains use of the original av slot. so you still have options if you wanna go back and hook up to a crt or what not.

I will have to reply to this again once I’m on my computer where my files are since I’m on my phone right now.
This is the adapter I used I chose this one because it was the smallest one I could find but also I didn’t need to wire power to it separately

Hisewen PS2 HDMI Adapter, PS2 HDMI Cable for Sony Playstation 2 Slimline with HD Link Cable ( Support Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr Signal Output) https://a.co/d/3Fn6aGA
Again once I get on my computer I will reply to you again with all the files I used

also one more thing I did move my power on switch to the front of the consol and re purposed the logo as my power switch I had to make a logo/button but I will includ that as well. I have two top shell options as well one with the shapes and one blank I got carried away with mine I love it now but don’t know if it’s worth it but again I will include all the files for you here’s a few pics

Attachments

So starting at the end yes I used the kill switch but since the adapter I used was a ps2 memory card I wired it a little different. It still works but you need to use the kill switch and remove the sd card.

Now as far as the files absolutely I would love to share them with you. I will also link the specific adapter I used as I have built proper mounts for it. Now the way I did it was I added the hdmi but it still retains use of the original av slot. so you still have options if you wanna go back and hook up to a crt or what not.

I will have to reply to this again once I’m on my computer where my files are since I’m on my phone right now.
This is the adapter I used I chose this one because it was the smallest one I could find but also I didn’t need to wire power to it separately

Hisewen PS2 HDMI Adapter, PS2 HDMI Cable for Sony Playstation 2 Slimline with HD Link Cable ( Support Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr Signal Output) https://a.co/d/3Fn6aGA
Again once I get on my computer I will reply to you again with all the files I used

also one more thing I did move my power on switch to the front of the consol and re purposed the logo as my power switch I had to make a logo/button but I will includ that as well. I have two top shell options as well one with the shapes and one blank I got carried away with mine I love it now but don’t know if it’s worth it but again I will include all the files for you here’s a few pics
Hmm... I wonder if there's a way to combine Wesk's design (that I/O button hidden in the ○ on the shell was actually really slick and I wanted to keep that neat little feature) and yours -- keeping the stock LED indicator and merely repositioning it, well, anywhere visible since I'm going translucent with the case anyhow. As for HDMI... as you've said, having that option of the two is nice, although by that logic, I could just keep using the original adapter that runs off USB... especially given that reviews of the adapter you linked seem pretty ESID. 1 star review is a risky purchase to make with something I'm gonna basically hardwire in. Maybe I should try to see if there's a way to repurpose the original LED on the I/O button and take the build one upgrade at a time...

I mean I feel the need to customize everything I do lol I liked having the power button on the front but did really like wesks design but my lid button wasent strong enough so I bought some momentary switch’s and found one that worked good. Like I said I got carried away lol. But as far as the adapter it’s far better quality then the original one I used and yes you could just use it on the out side my goal with the build was to conceal everything inside while retaining the ps2 aesthetic. But once I get home I will upload my files and you can take a leak at them. I also have a resin printer as well as a couple fdm printers so if you want a cheap prototype you can mess with and figure out how you wanna do it I can send you a top and bottom for like $20