PS2 Ultra Slim

icd2k3

wesk ive never cut a pcb im Leary on doing it in the fear of damaging it did you by chance make a print of the shell to support both usb's and the power switch ?
It’s a little scary, but if you decide to do it use a dremel instead of the saw in the video. Much easier

wesk ive never cut a pcb im Leary on doing it in the fear of damaging it did you by chance make a print of the shell to support both usb's and the power switch ?

i love how you thought this mod up very nice and a great job sir.
I was nervous too but don’t be just cut straight

Seconding this, although in my case I was looking for a led that changes colors based on the power state (red for standby, green for on, just like OEM)
This would be possible as long as your were pulling the VCC needed from a stable point on the board and not a random cap or resistor, i though about doing this for a activity led for the MX4ISO mod just haven't had time to implement it as of yet.

Updated photo - I’m looking for someone to print a translucent “smoke” shell for it, but in the meantime I think it looks pretty damn good!
If you can afford it, PCBWay does it, but if you can find a way to not pay $150 I'd love to know where lol -- I was thinking my final build was going to be translucent blue

K newest build is done and dubbed "Oreo"

Oreo Build VOD

Besides the build included pics of points I'm using for my LED installation

Original VOD was having issues on twitch so uploading the current build to youtube

Attachments

borg

So this project has no worklog as it was completely off the cuff and went from concept to completion in a day and a half.

The PS2 Ultra Slim
View attachment 25899

Renders:
View attachment 22986View attachment 22987View attachment 22988View attachment 22989

Real Pics:
View attachment 22981View attachment 22982View attachment 22983View attachment 22984View attachment 22985

Features:

-Almost half the width of a stock PS2 slim as it nixes the DVD drive and one of the USB ports.​
-Added mounting for an internal micro SD card card adapter for SD loading.​
-Improved cooling over stock with an additional intake and a guided exhaust.​
-Re-purposes the lid switch to become the power/reset switch.​
-Designed to not need supports to print the main case.​

A very basic how to build:

1) Requires a PS2 79k motherboard.​
2) Carefully trim off 2nd USB port so the motherboard is square, being careful to not cut the 5v reg for the USB port. Sand that edge so there are no shorts. Run a wire from the 2nd controller port 8.5v to the input leg of the 5v USB regulator to restore USB power.​
3) Cut both traces coming off the DVD lid switch and wire reset to one side of the switch and GND to the other side, this is now the power switch.​
4) (Optional) Trim down an SD to micro SD adapter so that it sits flush in the adapter mount and wire it up for SD loading.​

See latest files here: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/ps2-ultra-slim.5077/post-57660
weak do you make a housing that would support the uncut pcb and the power switch setup with both usb's by chance i love your mod i worry about my skills is why im asking and would be willing to pay for the housing setup sir i only ask because im just learning how to solide.

weak do you make a housing that would support the uncut pcb and the power switch setup with both usb's by chance i love your mod i worry about my skills is why im asking and would be willing to pay for the housing setup sir i only ask because im just learning how to solide.
Then what's the point of making it smaller :P I mean do disc drive is smaller but wear is the fun in that. Please don't take that the wrong way I do see your point.

Last edited:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
1678760064510.png

Anybody has built it with a SCPH-79004 Mainboard? The Reset soldering doesn`t work.

I need more help. Specialy my board seems not to work. For my board i need a second workaround to soldering, that if i put the AC in, the ps2 starts immediately. Without to use this reset button.
It sounds like your reset circuit is shorted then or at least grounded out. I would troubleshoot the reset line before proceeding with anything else

K newest build is done and dubbed "Oreo"

Oreo Build VOD

Besides the build included pics of points I'm using for my LED installation

Original VOD was having issues on twitch so uploading the current build to youtube
Such a great job! This inspired me to put some LEDs on my PS2 ultra slim as well. But unfortunetly i have to work with an 79004 motherboard and I have no clue where to solder those to x)

Hopefully someday anyone out there is going to attempt such a mod and can provide some pictures so I can recreate it :D

It just looks so much more stunning with some LEDs in it ♥

Such a great job! This inspired me to put some LEDs on my PS2 ultra slim as well. But unfortunetly i have to work with an 79004 motherboard and I have no clue where to solder those to x)

Hopefully someday anyone out there is going to attempt such a mod and can provide some pictures so I can recreate it :D

It just looks so much more stunning with some LEDs in it ♥
Thank you for the comments. You should be able to prove for a suitable source if you have a multimeter, at a minimum you could power your LED's from the 5v rail and use a resistor calculator to get to the correct voltage.

Just for a quick update ... I got my hands on a multimeter and meassured various point on my 79004 board. I found 3 point, that provided 3,5V.
I marked them in this picture. Since I didnt find anything only, at least now the info is out there :D

IMG_4007.JPG
IMG_4008.JPG

I soldered my LEDs to point 2. And here are the results :)

IMG_4011.JPG
IMG_4012.JPG
IMG_4013.JPG

The LEDs are not noticeable when the lights are on. But they shure light up the system when my lights are out!
Its more like an indicator if the console is running or not. Otherwise the only indicator is the fan spinning.

I'm quit happy with it ♥ :)

And i Have to thank this forum so much! Otherwise I could have not built this thing. so thanks to everybody in here :)

Just for a quick update ... I got my hands on a multimeter and meassured various point on my 79004 board. I found 3 point, that provided 3,5V.
I marked them in this picture. Since I didnt find anything only, at least now the info is out there :D

View attachment 26723View attachment 26724

I soldered my LEDs to point 2. And here are the results :)

View attachment 26725View attachment 26726View attachment 26727

The LEDs are not noticeable when the lights are on. But they shure light up the system when my lights are out!
Its more like an indicator if the console is running or not. Otherwise the only indicator is the fan spinning.

I'm quit happy with it ♥ :)

And i Have to thank this forum so much! Otherwise I could have not built this thing. so thanks to everybody in here :)
Looks great and awesome work

@Wesk: I've replaced the SD micro adapter portion with one of those cheap Micro SD Arduino Modules in my personal build remixing your file. With your permission, I'll release it here. Otherwise I'll just keep it to myself. The problem with this is that the module doesn't have an ACK connection and I figure I could just wire it differently, I figure I'll just make my own mock memory card that fits the design of the front and be done with it since I don't plan on using the second port anyway. Also, I was using an SCPH-79001, so my lid switch was located to the power board rather than on the board itself. On the 79001, the board just ends about 15mm in so I designed a place holder for a simple tact switch there as well. Of course others would have to use a similar type of switch to make it fit properly or I can provide an editable file for that as well. Mine has about a 5mm pole in the center so it works fine with the button presses and creates an 'L' around the pole so it isn't going anywhere. Oh yeah, I redesigned the SD bracket as well to fill the space above the SD card so the card doesn't get lost inside the case upon insertion. Here is my reddit post of the "prototype" I made, which is most likely my final version as far as it goes for myself.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg