Search results

1. thedrew

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Insane man, really impressive and inspiring work as usual! That digital video is looking CRISPY. I have those tact switches (100gf) ones installed in a couple of my portables and they are the perfect feel in my opinion, good choice. Sounds like you're satisfied with the viewing angles of your...
  2. thedrew

Xbox 360 Portable

This is wild beyond belief... Incredible work!!!
  3. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

I plan on open sourcing this board design for others to attempt once complete and confirmed fully functional, so you could design anything you want with it!
  4. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

I appreciate your input. I was actually able to get further information from YveltalGriffin and Marshall: - RAM trace impedances should be 50Ω (currently is 60Ω) - VTERM needs a beefier LDO for stability/longevity (current LDO worked on an original board for a few short tests but not adequate...
  5. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

Thank you, definitely not giving up! Still actively working on the RAM termination, just seems to be more complex and involved than I thought. I'd rather not just 1:1 replicate what Nintendo did since that would require a lot more space (even though I have already measured all the traces widths...
  6. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

Thank you for sharing, I may look into the N64Brew discord. I didn't know exactly what I was getting myself into with this board redesign since it was from the 90s (not as complicated as later gen consoles) and thought it would be a simple project due to the 2 layer board the N64 uses. I was...
  7. thedrew

Question Modders, What Got You Into Modding?

Yeah, so sad, went back to check a few things on the GameCube motherboard when I realized ModRetro has been taken :( A lot of lost information
  8. thedrew

Question Modders, What Got You Into Modding?

It was this video for me: Blew my mind, that's how I found the benheck forums that still exists actually, just has a lot of broken links and pictures. Modretro came out afterwords but is forever gone, URL no longer exists. All that history gone...
  9. thedrew

Worklog N64 Portable V3

Wow that's looking super clean. Awesome heatsink setup!
  10. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

Did a lot of troubleshooting… I swapped all the components from my board redesign back to the original motherboard I took them from in the first place, and everything worked on the original board. I even transferred my SOT353 LDO (since I’m not using the original N64 one) and that also worked...
  11. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

Yeah it could be that too. I will look into that today as well after replacing the PIF. I checked all the resistances for the RAM and they all match up with a stock board but maybe I’m missing something. I feel like I’m close though!
  12. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

I appreciate the troubleshooting suggestions. - Cartridge is in the correct orientation and even probed every single pin to the RCP/PIF to verify continuity and proper routing as well as did the same on a stock board for comparison. Actually did that with the entire motherboard. No issues. -...
  13. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

Populated the board, started with the onboard regulators to make sure I get 3.3v and 2.5v (VTERM) and all was well. Continued to populate the rest of the components, checked everything under the microscope for bridges/shorts and probed various areas before I dare turn it on and everything...
  14. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

I'm using the crusty old original one for testing. Confirmed the slot worked before soldering it though. I'm not 100% sure on the Hispeedido solution just yet. It does have a lot of pros though such as inexpensive, has a small circuit, draws low power, and looks pretty decent. It has worked on...
  15. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

Boards arrived today, parts will be here tomorrow. Had some free time today so spent the last few hours probing every single connection on my bare board and compared to a stock N64 board and I’m happy to report it is 1:1 with no errors found (except a 3.3v and ground test pad for the...
  16. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

Double posting due to too many attachments... Once I confirm the N64 board redesign works, I will continue work on reverse engineering the ED64 Flashcart. The ED64 Mini™ Layout is all over the place on the paper print out but wanted to see the scale of how much smaller it would be. Much...
  17. thedrew

Worklog N64 Micro

I've been tinkering with the N64 on and off for a few months, think I'll start a worklog. Not sure what will come out of this, but hopefully a portable or maybe something that could help others. I've really enjoyed motherboard redesigns, a nice engineering puzzle for soothing the mind. So...
  18. thedrew

Guide Wii Undervolting "guide" and stats. (incomplete)

It has been a month since the last post, so quick little update. I have played through Metroid Prime and other light games here and there with the 1V and 1.15V line tied together running at 1.04v under load without any issues. All other voltages are stock, only the 1v and 1.15v were undervolted...
  19. thedrew

PriiMiium V1

Thank you, that would look pretty dope!
  20. thedrew

PriiMiium V1

Portable took a small fall, about a foot on carpet and broke some screw posts… So rebuilt it in PETG transparent red in hopes of a little more durability and higher heat resistance since I had found the case warped under the PMS2. Threw in Aurelio’s Direct Drive this time around and installed...