Question 1.8 inch tft screen wiring

JuDaG1

A Little Backstory:
I recently received a spare small 1.8 (the kit self-proclaimed it as HD though I'm skeptical due to the size) screen I happened upon from an arduino kit I got as a present. Note that the vendors of that kit were kind enough to provide what I assume is normally clear manual and or spec sheet. Unfortunately for me, I don't understand the language, but after searching the web with the info present on the board and the size of the screen itself I was able to pin this down as Chinese generic Arduino product that is currently being sold on Temu. It has a Video Driver IC: ST7735S and the information they provide [included below as numbered points] seems a tad off, maybe, I'm not sure 100% myself.

(Staff and Moderators, I looked for threads with this model screen but couldn't find one, so I had to create one. I am new to this forum and to lcd screens in general so I apologize if there is a thread with a similar model and question)

Anyways my actual question:
I was wondering just out of curiosity if this can be wired to accept either rca or hdmi video input without the use of an arduino. As I currently do not have the arduino shield to connect the board, nor am I serious enough to consider buying a shield or actually using this in a portable project due to its size, and scruples I have surrounding this product. Except maybe as a test screen while I await the 8 inch lcd screen and other parts I ordered to come in.

Sidenote: If you decide to buy the kit from Temu, which seems to be exactly the same as the one I got. Test the pins before for ease of soldering with good flux and solder with higher temps. Otherwise you may just want to pass on soldering the pins provided onto the board, the ones I got were made out of some sort steel (it was magnetic, plus it dented & broke my pin cutters' tip) that even when lightly sanded and I applied a liberal coat of flux would just not solder easily. Even when cranking the heat on my iron to 700 F, I still got poor joints that I'm just going to undo.

1. LCD size: 1.44"/1.8"

2. Lattice size:

128 128 (1.44 inches)

128 160 (1.8 inches)

(you can adjust the display direction, both

horizontal screen and vertical screen)

3. LCD color: 65K full color

4. Hardware interface: SPI interface

5. Drive IC: ST7735

6. Working temperature: -20°C to 70°C

8. Working power supply: 3.3v

9. Interface: 8Pin(0.96/1.44/1.8)/7Pin(1.3)

10. Display area:

25.5 26.5 mm (1.44)

28* 35 mm (1.8)

11. Size:

30 43 mm (1.44)

35* 56 mm (1.8)

Interface definition:

1. GND: power supply

2.VCC: 3.3V-5.0V(DC)

3.SCL: SPI clock line

4.SDA: SPI data line 5.RES: restart the interface

6.DC: SPI data/command selection

7.CS: chip selection interface (1.3-inch none)

8.BLK: backlight control, default float, low level off
Screenshot_2023-03-03-16-37-28-515~2.jpeg
Screenshot_2023-03-03-16-37-36-172~2.jpeg

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Well it's definitely not HD
1677891346719.png

Also the display is controlled via i2c, so you would need some form of microcontroller to drive it. I wouldn't bother trying to use it for games tho, the resolution is way too low and it probably has quite poor colour depth

JuDaG1

Thank you very much for the insight Stitches. I was more so curious if it was possible to wire the LCD screen to accept RCA Or HDMI, I ordered a 8 inch IPS Multipurpose LCD Screen Display Monitor and HDMI Driver Control Board from ebay that I'll modify once it arrives for the portable.

However I'm still quite interested in trying to understand the RCA or HDMI connections to translate and communicate with this I2C board. What microprocessor(s) would you recommend to to help me accomplish this. Also is there any reading I could do to help me better understand the signals for data transfer for each connection/protocol system? Though I'm assuming this would be a rather tedious and long process, as from what little I understand by doing a quick read on wikipedia, I2C to SPI, and SPI to RCA are moving data at the same time from the signal source to the lcd screen constantly.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thank you very much for the insight Stitches. I was more so curious if it was possible to wire the LCD screen to accept RCA Or HDMI, I ordered a 8 inch IPS Multipurpose LCD Screen Display Monitor and HDMI Driver Control Board from ebay that I'll modify once it arrives for the portable.

However I'm still quite interested in trying to understand the RCA or HDMI connections to translate and communicate with this I2C board. What microprocessor(s) would you recommend to to help me accomplish this. Also is there any reading I could do to help me better understand the signals for data transfer for each connection/protocol system? Though I'm assuming this would be a rather tedious and long process, as from what little I understand by doing a quick read on wikipedia, I2C to SPI, and SPI to RCA are moving data at the same time from the signal source to the lcd screen constantly.
I'm afraid that level of EE is far beyond me. I know enough to design PCBs from existing schematics and recognise intermediate terminology, but not nearly enough to even speculate on a project like that. You'd have to do some deeper research and see if there are any existing github repositories for projects like this, or study EE yourself and create a custom solution.