Worklog [2022 Contest Entry] GBA XL SP

Kamp

Hello,
I’d like to enter my project, The GBA XL SP, into the Summer Build Competition.

The basis of this project is the ability to use the DSi XL screen with the GBA thanks to the funnyplaying ITA kit, shown working above.
If you came to the BitBuilt MGC room this year, you might have seen another project that I made using this kit, the GBA XL:

The GBA XL SP project will be similar to that of the GBA XL, but no work will be reused, as I will need to start with the 3D scans of the SP and edit from there.

To begin with, I wasn’t sure if the funnyplaying kit would be usable with the GBA SP. However, thanks to a strange adapter that I found that lets me use a GBA screen on the GBA SP, the kit works exactly as it does with the GBA.
(As a side note: the funnyplaying kit is intended to be used with the DSi screen on the GBA, not necessarily the DSi XL screen on either the GBA or the GBA SP. While it seems to work fine for me, I have not done any extensive life testing. I have no idea if there are any potential problems from using the larger screen)
Now that I can use the kit on the GBA SP, I started the 3D modeling by cleaning up the 3D scans of the GBA SP shell from Wesk (I can’t say thanks enough for all of his scans that I’ve used!)
My workflow to get the scans into a usable state was as follows: Import meshes into fusion, Repair meshes if there are any holes/other problems, Reduce the mesh quality CONSIDERABLY so that my poor computer can work with them, and Convert them to BRep bodies.
From there, I cleaned up the scans by trimming flat portions of the body to increase printability and further improve fusion’s performance. Then, I scaled up each body by 1.3 in the X and Y direction and 1.1 in the Z direction. Here’s the cleaned up assembly:

This will scale the X and Y to match the difference in size between the GBA and DSi XL screens. The 1.1 scaling in the Z direction is to add ~2mm, enough for an extra layer of PCB for supporting the new placement of buttons.
From here, I’ll be splicing different parts of the non-scaled up SP shell onto the bigger shell, like the SP internal supports, cartridge slot, extension slot, etc. I wasn’t sure if I should 3D print scaled up buttons, or if I should use original sized SP buttons. The buttons would probably feel better and be more like how the DSi XL buttons are the same size as the DSi buttons, but the lower shell might look pretty weird with small buttons.
I also plan on making a limited edition version of the XL SP shell, like the Groudon SP shell.
My next update will likely have some 3D prints and more details in how I adapt the scaled up shell to work correctly.
Until then, thank you for reading!

Did you have any issues with your screen kit not working without the extension? I’ve got the same setup (FP DSi kit and the 32/34 adapter) but it will not allow the SP to boot.

Looking forward to your progress!