Worklog [2022 Contest Entry] The AtarWii Liinx v2

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Another year, another build comp. But unlike the last.......... *counts toes* 4 years, I actually have a plan ready this time: Redo an old idea using new stuff! Genius, I know.

I always look at the Liinx sitting on my shelf and think "Man, I really dropped the ball on every aspect of that build. I should remake it, but like not shit this time", so I'm gonna!

Current plan is:
  • Recreate the case in Fusion360 as accurately as possible using measurements taken from the original Liinx
  • Use original face buttons, sticks, and triggers as well if I can squeeze them in. If I can't, I'll try to design a more compact trigger mechanism that looks like GC triggers
  • Design custom PCBs for controls, integrating the latest and greatest from 4layertech. I have a PMS-2 and PD-2 already, just need to get a U-Amp-2 and GC+2.0 at some point soon
  • Use 4x 3400mAh cells for goodly battery life (like the original Liinx did)
  • NO PAINT! I suck ass at painting, I think I'll just do a nice case print at 0.1mm layer height and call it a day
  • Keep it fucking simple. I always lose track of projects like this when I leave shit open ended, so I'm going in with a clear set of parameters this time.
Really I'm just using the comp as an excuse to update my shitty old build with less shitty parts and better build practices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sue me.

It'll be a little bit before I start working on this. I'm currently wrapping up a VR gloves project, and I need to collect some dollarydoos to buy parts for this build BEFORE I start modelling anything.

Oh, and I'll be open sourcing the PCB and case files after the comp is done. Updates to follow.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Big sad, but I'm afraid I'm not going to finish in time. I'm depressed and kept having to prioritise other things, and it's now way too late to get everything together. Project will be completed, I will have this redux in my hands if it kills me, but it'll be a few more months.

Best of luck to everyone still in the running! It's been a sick comp this year.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
The first portable I made was in an actual lunchbox, only after I got that going did I upgrade to frankencasing a shell, and the Lynx does look awfully like a small food container. Just saying.