Question Best way to connect 18650 batteries?

Hello all, I want to connect 2 li ion 18650 batteries in series, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I know directly soldering the two with wire is not ideal (risk of battery damage) and I know of a form of welding used to connect the two via a metal strip( However I do not know of the tool nor its price).does anyone know of some methods that can help me connect the batteries in series??

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
For portables, the ideal method for connecting batteries together is to have battery tabs built into the portable that you can solder to. This makes it easy to put batteries in and out, and prevents you from needing to solder to them, as you mentioned. Take a look at the G-Boy or the Ashida for an example of how people have implemented them.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The tool for attaching the zinc tabs is called a Spot Welder, and they range from $50 to $150 depending on whether you want to be safe or not. It's much cheaper and easier to build battery tabs into the case, like Ginger said

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
The tool for attaching the zinc tabs is called a Spot Welder, and they range from $50 to $150 depending on whether you want to be safe or not. It's much cheaper and easier to build battery tabs into the case, like Ginger said
Actually I think theres one on AliExpress for ~$25, but like you said, even then its still cheaper and easier to incorporate battery tabs into your design. Not to mention it helps if you ever have to replace the batteries for whatever reason.

I see what everyone did with the G-Boy, it reminds me of the battery tabs you would see in a controller ( the ones with the springs).