BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

Hi im in 8th grade looking to go into some electronic classes in high school i have not done any modding before so if anyone has some good projects for me to start on that would be great

sLoth

Hey there, I'm sLoth. I've been building and repairing electronics for quite a while now, I came across the Ashida and knew I had to make one.

I'm blown away by how small these wii trims have gotten, and how polished and integrated the software is with the rvl boards.
Really appreciate all the resources and tools you guys have put together, can't wait to finish my first portable. I've got my eye on a ps2 for the second one, for some ratchet and clank on the go.

Heya!

I just recently fell into the YouTube rabbit hole that is the retro modding & restoration community. This led me to several different videos from people like Shank Mods, GingerOfOz, and Wermy, just to name a few. I forget the exact day this obsession started but I can tell you that it was sometime within the past week lol. Cut to present day and I've put in an Amazon order for essentially a soldering workstation. My first mod is a toss up between a GBA Macro mod and building what I've lovingly called a Super-GameCube (I'd list the mods but it's like midnight and I wanna finish this lol).

With that said, I have some questions on what I should get and, more importantly, where I should get it from. I live in Alaska, so a majority of companies consider me to live "overseas" and won't ship to me. I learned this the hard way when trying to order my soldering iron but I managed to work around that. No, what I need to figure out is where to get wire. All the videos I've seen say that it's pretty easy to find, but Alaska is like the long-awaited sequel to Ohio, we don't exist lmao. If it's commonplace in the majority of the world, it ain't so up here

Heya!

I just recently fell into the YouTube rabbit hole that is the retro modding & restoration community. This led me to several different videos from people like Shank Mods, GingerOfOz, and Wermy, just to name a few. I forget the exact day this obsession started but I can tell you that it was sometime within the past week lol. Cut to present day and I've put in an Amazon order for essentially a soldering workstation. My first mod is a toss up between a GBA Macro mod and building what I've lovingly called a Super-GameCube (I'd list the mods but it's like midnight and I wanna finish this lol).

With that said, I have some questions on what I should get and, more importantly, where I should get it from. I live in Alaska, so a majority of companies consider me to live "overseas" and won't ship to me. I learned this the hard way when trying to order my soldering iron but I managed to work around that. No, what I need to figure out is where to get wire. All the videos I've seen say that it's pretty easy to find, but Alaska is like the long-awaited sequel to Ohio, we don't exist lmao. If it's commonplace in the majority of the world, it ain't so up here
4LayerTechnologies, the store that a lot of people get things from for portables, will ship to you.

4LayerTechnologies, the store that a lot of people get things from for portables, will ship to you.
I've heard about 4LayerTechnologies but I completely forgot about them lmao. They seem like the best option imo. Thanks!

Do you have any input on sites like Adafruit, KNJN, or even Newegg/Amazon for getting electronic supplies? To be more specific, how was your experience purchasing from them, dealing with issues (if there were any), and how long was the turnaround? KNJN seems like it's more for specific PCB's so idk how much they apply to this lol

Again tho, thanks for the advice

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Hey everybody! I've been lurking for a long time now (few years I think...) I finally decided to join your community in celebration of getting my first Wii trimmed motherboard working!!! I am so excited to cram this thing into a portable now.
If you want to see it in action my channel is in my profile description.

Lonk

Howdy! Been browsing the forum for some time now and I'm finally ready to jump in. Really looking forward to this journey and being a part of this amazing community.

I've heard about 4LayerTechnologies but I completely forgot about them lmao. They seem like the best option imo. Thanks!

Do you have any input on sites like Adafruit, KNJN, or even Newegg/Amazon for getting electronic supplies? To be more specific, how was your experience purchasing from them, dealing with issues (if there were any), and how long was the turnaround? KNJN seems like it's more for specific PCB's so idk how much they apply to this lol

Again tho, thanks for the advice
Your welcome :)
I haven't gotten too much stuff for portables yet because I'm still making my first one, but from previous experience with electronics I would say that Newegg is a pretty good site. I have never gotten stuff from Adafruit or KNJN. Also, in terms of shipping times, Amazon is pretty fast for a lot of products.

I'm new, first question will be where to get a good 7" screen so I can make a Party-Box variation. The link to Sunfounder screen that Wesk posted in a thread is out of stock

Hello everyone! I'm Reiko, a VTuber! I love to mod gameboys, but I've been getting in to other console mods and casemods lately! I have a lot to share here!

fox87

Hello guys.
I just tried to install the AVE-HDMI to my old Wii and already ran into problems. I accidently unsoldered and lost some electronic part i yet need to identify. In which forum would i post such an issue?

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Hello guys.
I just tried to install the AVE-HDMI to my old Wii and already ran into problems. I accidently unsoldered and lost some electronic part i yet need to identify. In which forum would i post such an issue?
You can start a worklog under the Nintendo Wii section on the front page and start your own thread there.

Be sure to include lots of pictures so we can help you figure out your issue.

mcats

Hello everyone!

My name is mcats, and I'm a college sophomore in Washington. I've just trimmed my Wii for the first time and am hoping I can successfully build a Gboy using Dustin Fisher's custom pcb's. I'll also try to post a worklog along the way.

Portables
1x Ben Heck style SNES portable & 1x Gamecube portable
Hello beautiful people. I'm the host of the YouTube channel Bringus Studios, where I do things such as build miniature Gamecubes, install SteamOS on horrendously under-spec'd computers, and reminisce about 'the good ol' days' of console homebrew and modding. I've got some dumb projects planned, and I'm gonna need some help from the experts to make it happen... I believe I've come to the right place.

Viilmo

Portables
Hello beautiful people. I'm the host of the YouTube channel Bringus Studios, where I do things such as build miniature Gamecubes, install SteamOS on horrendously under-spec'd computers, and reminisce about 'the good ol' days' of console homebrew and modding. I've got some dumb projects planned, and I'm gonna need some help from the experts to make it happen... I believe I've come to the right place.
Are you finally finishing the WiiCube?