BitBuilt's 2023 Summer Building Competition

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
2023 Summer Building Contest

Just after the launch of many new projects, including CrazyGadget and Wesk's GC Nano, comes the 8th Summer Building Competition! As always, first time modders and enthusiasts alike are all welcomed to enter their projects and show off their skills! This year however, we've decided to spice up the prizes a bit...

Information

The 2023 Summer Building Competition officially begins June 1st and ends October 1st. Projects started in the month of May will be allowed as entries. After concluding the community will vote and results will be revealed shortly after.

Dates.png

Keeping with tradition, there will be three categories each entry will be voted on. Each category counts as one vote - meaning if someone voted for the same entry in all three categories, that entry would gain 3 votes overall.

Case Design/Aesthetic - Pouring hours and hours into designing and producing a case deserves praise.

Internals - We've all seen portables that look as pretty inside as they do on the outside. Electing to make your internals clean will gain you some votes and cred among the community.

Features and Functionality - Despite the fact that some projects are mods of consoles over a decade old, it doesn't mean they shouldn't have modern amenities. Managing to sneak in extra features, more functionality (original or not), and whatever else you can come up with can gain you extra points.
Rules

Our goal each year is to make the contest as fair as possible for everyone participating and we hope that these rules achieve that goal. By reading through the list of contest rules found below, you’re helping to ensure that all involved in the contest has a good experience.

1. All work must be done by you and only you. Commissions involving your contest project are not allowed at any point throughout the duration of the contest while you remain a participant. This includes board trimming, PCB design, case design, wiring of any kind, etc. If you are unsure of what this includes, please ask before going ahead with it to prevent you from being disqualified.

2. A worklog with pictures must be made on the forums. A piece of paper or index card must also be visible in photographs with some variation of “BitBuilt 2023 Summer Building Competition” along with your forum username displayed on it.

3. At the end of the contest, a video of your project is required and must be submitted along with your final contest submission. This video must include a demo of all aspects of the project along with the features listed in your submission as to prove their functionality. Any project found lacking video proof of any features will not have those features listed alongside their project during voting in order to keep things fair.

4. Your entry must not be an entry from previous years completed or otherwise. It must have been started in or after May of 2023.

5. When making your thread select the "Worklog" prefix. Once your entry is complete and also has your submission video, edit the original post to change the prefix to "Completed".

A tip of advice: Remember your peers will be voting for you. Making a clean work log and or a spending time on your entry video may prove beneficial in portraying your submission to voters!
By registering for the contest, you’re letting us know that you agree to the rules stated above. Breaking the rules (namely the first one) put you at risk of being disqualified from the contest and banned from BitBuilt events and or services. Any necessary punishment is decided by BitBuilt staff and is final. When in doubt about anything, reach out to myself, @CrashBash or a staff member on the forums / Discord and we will advise you or direct you to someone who can aid you.

Registration

In order to register, you must first log in, go to your account dropdown menu, and click “Account Upgrades”.

After that, you can click “Purchase” under the Available Upgrades section and pay the $2 entry fee. Once you have paid the fee, you will automatically be given a banner to denote that you are a contestant in the Competition!

Once you are ready make your worklog in the 2023 Summer Contest subforum. See rule 5 for thread prefix rules.

Make sure to pay attention to the stickies here on the forums as well as the Discord Channel. Any and all new information, such as the prizes, will be announced in those places respectively.

Good luck to all!

-----

2023-09-30: Important update!
We're reaching final submission time and there's not many completed entries. In order to allow for there to be sufficient competition during the voting phase we're extending the submission and winner announcement dates back one week.
We understand, however, this is not fair to those who finish on time. As a result, anyone who finishes on time will receive a 20% "bonus" to their votes when counting votes to choose a winner.

~Crash

-----

2023-10-08: Voting Link:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zini

Portables
some day
Looking forward to seeing what you mad people will do this summer! Can't wait, best of luck to all contestants.

Portables
Too many
Baaaah...I finally decide on what to build, and when I test fire my last remaining mobo in the junk bin, I freaken smoke it >_< ...back to the drawing board...

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
I have a question, can i build something like this s-l1600.jpg
for my project, you know like putting a screen and the console inside or i have to build a case to make it portable?
i haven't decided yet what to make, i do want to make a case for my portable but also i want to put a console inside a toy robot, i just want to make something different.
if i can i will try to design my own toy robot, something like the one on the picture.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I have a question, can i build something like this View attachment 27946
for my project, you know like putting a screen and the console inside or i have to build a case to make it portable?
i haven't decided yet what to make, i do want to make a case for my portable but also i want to put a console inside a toy robot, i just want to make something different.
if i can i will try to design my own toy robot, something like the one on the picture.
You can use the robot as is, yeah. Madmorda is using a Playskool toy cassette player as a case, so you won't be alone in this type of project

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
Updated original post with extension details:
TL;DR: 1 Week extension. 20% bonus votes if you completed in accordance to the original date.