Worklog My first portable; Ashida

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Is "scuffed" an Australian slang? It's definitely possible it's damaged since it wasn't working when hooked up how it was supposed to be.

I was wiring it for analog which calls for 3.3v but left my comm wiring hooked up because I didn't expect anything to change and at this point I had another board on order.

That's when it appeared in RVLoader and started working. I then removed the analog jumper on J2 and everything was great until I tightened all my screws and popped my display driver board :(

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Is "scuffed" an Australian slang? It's definitely possible it's damaged since it wasn't working when hooked up how it was supposed to be.

I was wiring it for analog which calls for 3.3v but left my comm wiring hooked up because I didn't expect anything to change and at this point I had another board on order.

That's when it appeared in RVLoader and started working. I then removed the analog jumper on J2 and everything was great until I tightened all my screws and popped my display driver board :(
Unlucky

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Don't worry gang, I haven't given up on my Ashida. My new driver board fixed all my issues except my funky audio board.

I decided to get a new 3D printer to try my hand at printing ABS and then acetone vapor smoothing it in my custom chamber I built. It's not been going well as printing in ABS is difficult, with LOTS of tuning....

My new audio board came in the mail yesterday and I'll rebuild my Ashida with a fancy new enclosure once I get a decent print done...

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Well I let the resin cure for over 4 days and it failed to stop being grippy and that texture just drives me up a wall. Cannot stand it in my hands.

So I threw all the boards back in my old cruddy enclosure. I just wanted something I could play while I hone my post processing 3D print skills.

I replaced the audio board and wired it correctly with 1.8v and it worked first time, appearing in RV loader. Everything is functional and I've been playing on it for a couple days every chance I get with very little boot/freezing issues and it just works.

I'm gonna buy another set of boards (once the GC and PMS-PD come back in stock) and eventually build another really nice ashida with HDMI out, and dock-able to a TV with 4 GameCube ports, but for now, I'm just gonna play some windwaker...

Thank you Stitches, Vipe_202, and Customledmods for helping me complete my first Wii portable!

1682836468802.png

Last edited:

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Hey everyone. I'm sure I'm not the only one that ran into a very specific issue once they completed their ashida...

How do I transport this device, that I care for like a newborn child, since I spent HOURS and HOURS completing?

I spent a couple days trying to find cases with very similar dimensions.

Unfortunately I could not find anything suitable besides Nintendo switch cases. All of them came with the little card flaps and zipper pouches though..

I finally found a case with internal dimensions of 9.75in*4.25in*2.8in.

I ordered it, and cut all the unnecessary things out very carefully with an exacto blade and used a lighter to melt any excess unraveling nylon. Here is the finished result (steam deck case for comparison in size).

I'm not going to post an external link to the Amazon page but the case is called "Deruitu Carrying Case for Nintendo Switch" if anyone wants to get one for their Ashida.

I've given the case quite a shaking and the ashida is friction fit pretty well inside. Only problem I have is that the analog stick rests against the case. The case is hard so unless you dropped the case on an object that hit the analog stick dead center risk of damage is low.

I ordered some dense tool box foam and I am going to experiment with making a cutout for the top of the ashida that prevents the analog stick from bottoming out against the lid of the case. I will update if I get good results.

Attachments