Discussion G-Boy Rev III - DIY Portable Kit

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I found everything I need except the Files for printing the case. Any links to the Ashida Wii case? Any tips on getting my hands on one?
The case files and BOM are in the OP

If you are unable to print the case yourself, I believe PCBWay's printing service is the current recommended option. You have the choice of SLA resin, FDM, and SLS nylon as material. Personally I recommend the SLS nylon for its durability and almost Gamecube controller like textured finish, but a lot of people really like the UTR-8100 transparent resin. Up to you. You could also commission someone here to FDM print you a case, would be a fair bit cheaper

The case files and BOM are in the OP

If you are unable to print the case yourself, I believe PCBWay's printing service is the current recommended option. You have the choice of SLA resin, FDM, and SLS nylon as material. Personally I recommend the SLS nylon for its durability and almost Gamecube controller like textured finish, but a lot of people really like the UTR-8100 transparent resin. Up to you. You could also commission someone here to FDM print you a case, would be a fair bit cheaper
Yup! I ended up finding the files. For anyone else reading this the PCB way quote for the UTR-8100 transparent resin was about $69 for back and $79 for front, Net about $150. Not too bad.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks!
Is there instructions on how to may a g-boy from the parts?
The original G-Boy manual is still mostly accurate to Dustin's remixed parts. All you really have to correct for is the new 4layertech boards, which have their pinout diagrams on the listings for each product, and possibly the screen wiring if you use the 480p screen instead of the 240p screen that was used in the kits.

Thanks a lot!

Just, a few last questions. Sorry, new to this stuff. What does correcting 4layerboards and correcting screen wiring mean?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks a lot!

Just, a few last questions. Sorry, new to this stuff. What does correcting 4layerboards and correcting screen wiring mean?
4layertech sell new versions of the original PMS, PD, U-AMP, and GC+ boards that were used in the G-Boy kits, and the 480p screen has a different driver board to the 240p one that was in the kits. The pinouts are sightly different, so you'll need to use the instructions as a basic guide for how to wire it up, and match up the white silkscreen text on the boards to the old wiring diagrams. The principle of everything remains the same

Thanks. Overall what your saying is buy the new versions of PMS, PD, U-AMP, and GC+ boards and buy new versions of the driver up board for the 480p screen wiring.
How will i know the wire it up properly if the pinouts are different than the instructions?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks. Overall what your saying is buy the new versions of PMS, PD, U-AMP, and GC+ boards and buy new versions of the driver up board for the 480p screen wiring.
How will i know the wire it up properly if the pinouts are different than the instructions?
You'll know because the designators for the pads have the same names, and the 4layertech website pages for the boards have detailed updated pinouts showing how to wire them correctly.

Also, is there a kit for something like this that has not shutdown?
There are no complete kits of any kind available. The closest thing would be the Ashida, for which you can buy all of the PCBs and the screen directly from 4layertech, but you must source your case and other misc parts from the Bill Of Materials yourself