G-Wii

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
This is a Wii portable I've been working on for too many months. Glad to have it off my workbench.

It's packing a 5" VGA screen, GC memory card slot, original GC buttons/joysticks, and 3D printed shoulder buttons. Besides that, it's a basic build. Thanks @Shank for the name, G-Wii. @Aurelio for the VGA patches and a bunch of homebrew help. Hope y'all like it.

you can download the cad files here if you want: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/g-wii-cad-files.2319/

the nudes
20180822_231412.jpg

Hell yess!!
20180823_112206.jpg

20180823_112233.jpg
20180823_112033.jpg
20180823_112053.jpg

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
hemlo sir yes i wold liek v much if u could maek me a v nice portabel jus lik dis w my alowance my mom gave me i will gib u 10$ ok thank

But actually though, as always, I would take your portable on a classy date if I could. 10/10 would portable again.

Wow, looks official and classic with the original buttons. Love it!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What is your option on sounds and earphone jack?
I would recommend JacksonS's audio amp or Aurelio's WiiHUD amp (not sure if it is still available for purchase or not).

Question: I realise that the GC+ has become the primary button control board in Wii portablizers. I can't seem to see how people either get the black chip that is on top, or program it to function.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Question: I realise that the GC+ has become the primary button control board in Wii portablizers. I can't seem to see how people either get the black chip that is on top, or program it to function.
The parts can be ordered on digikey, check the bill of materials on the GC+ github. The chip is programmed using a pickit3.

Also please start your own thread, this is not the thread to ask questions.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The screws you used, are these self tapping ones?
They are M2 machine screws. You will have to pre-drill the holes slightly (just a hair smaller than the outside diameter of the screw). Then use strong force to drive it in the plastic

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey Gman

(This is my first post btw after weeks of lurking) Was just meaning to ask you about the cooling solution in your CAD-model. Is that heatsink really drawing much heat off the GPU? Wouldn't I need a significantly longer one to cover both the CPU and GPU? But then comes the question: Where does the fan go?

A great case otherwise though. Planning on making my first portable and this has been a great place to start case-wise. Mind you the amount of research one has to do before starting. Jesus Christ!

Btw, I would be happy to optimize the CAD-files (if you would like) since I have some experience with solidworks although I don't really see a reason why.

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hey Gman

(This is my first post btw after weeks of lurking) Was just meaning to ask you about the cooling solution in your CAD-model. Is that heatsink really drawing much heat off the GPU? Wouldn't I need a significantly longer one to cover both the CPU and GPU? But then comes the question: Where does the fan go?

A great case otherwise though. Planning on making my first portable and this has been a great place to start case-wise. Mind you the amount of research one has to do before starting. Jesus Christ!

Btw, I would be happy to optimize the CAD-files (if you would like) since I have some experience with solidworks although I don't really see a reason why.
Yes, it works. Not pictured is a copper sheet which bridges thermally the gpu, cpu, and the heatsink.