Solved GameCube portable overheating?

Hello everyone, I am currently working on a GameCube portable (might make a work log later). The portable is almost closed up, but after around 10 minutes to 15 minutes of gameplay, I get a disk read error.

When it happened yesterday I tried turning it off and back on again and it didn’t even show the boot up screen. After waiting for a couple minutes and trying again, the cube booted up fine. Tried just running it today and I got another error message after running for a while.

Questions:
1) I’m assuming this means that the GameCube is getting too hot, correct? I am not using a fan currently, but I am using an untrimmed game cube heat sink and it is exposed to the outside air. I am going to check to see if that heat sink is properly seated, but I’ll have to pretty much disassemble the bulk of my project.

2) should I be able to run the game cube without a fan if the heat sink is not enclosed? An old modretro post by Tchay implies that I should be able to..

3) should I use a different thermal paste than the stock GameCube heat sink putty?

See the attached photo to see the setup I believe could be overheating.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

Update, I took apart the whole project and tried using some different thermal paste. It seemed like it lasted longer, but still had an overheating issue. Does anyone know if a fan will fix this problem or do I have a bad cube?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I can't say I have ever heard of a GC portable that didn't need a fan blowing air over the sink, it just pumps out too much heat. 10-15 mins sounds about right for thermal saturation though, so I'd attach a fan to the sink and see if that resolves the issue.

If it doesn't, it could be the system browning out under full load due to insufficient current supply.

Thanks for your reply! I found a GC fan I had lying around and used it with a trimmed heat sink and that solved the issue.