GBoy worklog ( Metroid themed)

If im planning on just playing gamecube games on my gboy, is it needed to relocate the MX chip? I know the mx chip gives real time of the saved game played but not having it installed wont stop the functionality of the gboy will it? Also for me to play wii games does both the bluetooth and MX chip need to be added in order to play wii games or just the Bluetooth?

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
MX chip is in charge of RTC, and GameCube fonts mostly but nintendont, an extension installed in RVLoader emulates GameCube fonts. Making MX not required unless you want to play games that rely on the clock like animal crossing.

The Bluetooth is required to boot into the Wii menu, but you can emulate wiimote functionality with the GC+2 in the RVLoader menu when booting into Wii games directly.

Bluetooth and a wireless sensor bar is recommended if you want to do Wii games, but not required.

MX chip is in charge of RTC, and GameCube fonts mostly but nintendont, an extension installed in RVLoader emulates GameCube fonts. Making MX not required unless you want to play games that rely on the clock like animal crossing.

The Bluetooth is required to boot into the Wii menu, but you can emulate wiimote functionality with the GC+2 in the RVLoader menu when booting into Wii games directly.

Bluetooth and a wireless sensor bar is recommended if you want to do Wii games, but not required.
i got you. I appreciate the clarification!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If im planning on just playing gamecube games on my gboy, is it needed to relocate the MX chip? I know the mx chip gives real time of the saved game played but not having it installed wont stop the functionality of the gboy will it? Also for me to play wii games does both the bluetooth and MX chip need to be added in order to play wii games or just the Bluetooth?
GC and Wii games that use the RTC won't shit the bed if the MX chip is missing. You'll miss out on things like TTYD's lottery and accurate savegame timestamps, but the games will otherwise work fine. The exceptions to this are NES and N64 virtual console titles. They all need the font data in the MX chip to run correctly, and cannot be played without it.

In addition, as Retro said you can use the GC2Wiimote setting in RVLoader to emulate most Wii controls using a GC+ or Gamecube controller, however, some motion controls are not currently supported by GC2Wiimote and cannot be emulated. Specifically, I am aware of the following unsupported controls: turning the Wiimote like a screwdriver while pointing it at the screen to steer the Manta Ray in Mario Galaxy, and holding the Wiimote upright and tilting it like a giant joystick to move the big Star Ball also in Mario Galaxy. I vaguely remember there being some problems with the Wii versions of the Metroid Prime games as well, and Wii Motion Plus is still unsupported last I checked.

If you are able to perform the BT module relocation, I would do it. It gives you the option to get past otherwise impassable roadblocks in games like Mario Galaxy, and it's much more annoying to perform the relocation after the build is done if you change your mind.

Better to have it and not need it then need it don't have it. I got you.

My only thing is with doing the mx and Bluetooth install, the explanation and photos are there but being able to see the steps in motion via a video really help me understand as a visual learner.

I'm absolutely excited to make this GBoy yet also terrified to mess this build up; and i really want to get it right the first time because this is my first true modded console. Everything else before this has been modded gbas, custom paint jobs, and the picoboot for the gamecube.

I don't know if anyone else here sames the same sitiment but I'm not gonna front like this is my bread and butter.

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
This YouTube video helped me a lot with my trim and test process when I first started out. I was also afraid to tackle the Bluetooth relocation but this video made it look really easy.

You're going to want to use an exacto knife and use the very tip of it to lightly drag across the board traces to slowly remove the solder mask, then fiberglass of the board until you see the copper trace beneath.

Stagger the exposed traces so they're not directly next to each other. Keep them about 5-10mm apart so when you're soldering you don't bridge the two connections by mistake.

Use a generous amount of flux, and solder your 30-32awg magnet wire on and the rest is easy.

Remember to use longer wires for when you're bench testing. Then when you install the Wii trim into the enclosure and decide on a final mounting point for your Bluetooth module you can cut all your wires to length and resolder them.

It's ideal to keep the Bluetooth module and wifi module wires as short as possible.

One thing to keep in mind also is that the SYNC button pulls to 3.3v rail, not ground, like every other button on the system.

Dude! I really appreciate the link! Makes things a whole lot clearer for me! I updated my cart in digikey for links Gman posted about the resistors.

3x PTH08080 23.03 https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/PTH08080WAH/296-20432-ND/724048
6x 100uf Cap 0.75 https://www.digikey.com/product-det...tronic-components/ECE-A1AKS101/P963-ND/160543
75k (1v) 0.04 https://www.digikey.com/product-det...ronics-inc/CF14JT75K0/CF14JT75K0CT-ND/1830396
30k (1.15v) 0.04 https://www.digikey.com/product-det...ronics-inc/CF14JT30K0/CF14JT30K0CT-ND/1830386
2k (3.3v) 0.04

Now i just need to get my funds in order so I can get everything else ordered to get this underway. Also as a side note Retro, the guy printing my shell said he will give me those pictures, I just gotta wait a few days. He had a family emergency and my order got delayed a few days.

Love the Metroid theme! :D Excited to see this develop! I'm about halfway through my G-boy so if you have any questions lemme know! So far @CrazyGadget 's comment here has been a huge help with getting started.
Thank you! :D I've been a fan since i was a git playing on my gameboy pocket and super nintendo lol.

And sweet! I appreciate any help I can get. I'm determined to get this build done and do it correctly. I'm almost considering getting rid of a extra gba i have to get my funds up for this build.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
This YouTube video helped me a lot with my trim and test process when I first started out. I was also afraid to tackle the Bluetooth relocation but this video made it look really easy.

You're going to want to use an exacto knife and use the very tip of it to lightly drag across the board traces to slowly remove the solder mask, then fiberglass of the board until you see the copper trace beneath.

Stagger the exposed traces so they're not directly next to each other. Keep them about 5-10mm apart so when you're soldering you don't bridge the two connections by mistake.

Use a generous amount of flux, and solder your 30-32awg magnet wire on and the rest is easy.

Remember to use longer wires for when you're bench testing. Then when you install the Wii trim into the enclosure and decide on a final mounting point for your Bluetooth module you can cut all your wires to length and resolder them.

It's ideal to keep the Bluetooth module and wifi module wires as short as possible.

One thing to keep in mind also is that the SYNC button pulls to 3.3v rail, not ground, like every other button on the system.
Oh god............. Manolo.................

Take any portable stuff you see from him with a fistful of salt. Guy has been doing everything scuffed since day one and hasn't improved much.

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Oh god............. Manolo.................

Take any portable stuff you see from him with a fistful of salt. Guy has been doing everything scuffed since day one and hasn't improved much.
Funny you say that because you can tell his quality is poor. Yet his trim and Bluetooth relocation still worked and that gave me the confidence to do it myself because I wouldn't do it that... Blobby..

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You should have seen the deleted tutorials that came before that one. Compared to them, the video you linked is a masterclass.

But yeah I understand what you mean. It does serve as a decent "If this shit works, you can do it too!"