Worklog Haven't done a project in a while... SNES bluetooth controller Hori digital pad mod.

I love my official SNES bluetooth controller for the switch and have enjoyed my various Knights - Hollow and Shovel - with it. Though, I can't help but find the lack of grips uncomfortable.

Thankfully, Hori came up with a solution in the GameCube era; a SNES style controller with a more ergonomic designed back;

As I was lamenting how nice it would be if I could just attach the Hori back shell to my wireless SNES controller and realised, there was really no reason why I couldn't. After reading Ashens old guide on silicone moulding I began forming plans for a silicone mold made in multiple passes.

Through inspecting the perimeter of the official and third party controllers with foam and bamboo skewers and measuring with my calipers I was able to confirm that both had identical outside measurements with the exception of the grip area of the Hori. The Hori had larger screw holes, with 4 aligning with 6 official controllers and the shoulder buttons seem to be 1mm less wide, but both have very similar footprints..

So my battle strategy is;
  1. Plug up the Hori screw and controller cable holes with clay or plasticine.
  2. Mould outside of the Hori using silicone.
  3. Flip the mould and insert the SNES wireless controller into the mold, which should fit snugly.
  4. Using a syringe add more silicone to the mold for the 4 innermost screw holes, ZL, and ZR.
  5. Mould the other half of the SNES wireless controller.
  6. Cast the mould.
  7. Do various clean up jobs and drill extra holes for screws.
  8. ???
  9. Profit.
I'm really excited for this new project after so long without any activity. Now all I have to do is figure out where to order the silicone in Australia.

PS. Madmorda, if you're reading this,do you have any advice on matching SNES grey when casting plastic? I'd deeply appreciate any advice you have to give.