Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I remember that people say that the original Nintendo 2DS is quite ergonomic due to it lacking a hinge making it perfect for adults' hands but that the New 2DS XL wasn't as ergonomic as his original hingeless counterpart

Now I just wanna say that I prefer a 3DS model that has bigger screens, which is why I like my New 3DS XL, but I wished I had a 2DS instead but its screens are smaller than the console that I own...

Which is why I had this idea for who knows how long ago (becasue I don't remember when I thought of that): what if the New 2DS XL had a similar hingeless design as the 2DS?

idk if it would be possible to make a hingeless version of the New 2DS XL, but if it does, then I would be happy to know! :D
You totally could. If you disassembled a New 2DS and recreated the case and internal mounting in CAD as a single slab design like the original 2DS, it wouldn't be a particularly difficult project. It would be a bit time consuming to take all the measurements and iterate the design until everything fits, but it's 100% doable if you have access to a half decent 3D printer

Hi everyone! I'm new to the hardmodding scene, but have done a some home-brew before on the Wii and other Nintendo consoles. I was thinking of making a portable Wii, and I had an idea that I wanted to check if it would be easier than other methods / actually possible.

My idea is to use the Wii U gamepad as a screen and controller, and attach an untrimmed Wii motherboard to the back in a smaller form casing than the actual Wii shell. Would it be possible to use the Wii U screen as an output for the video, and also to trim the Wii remotes motherboard and map it to the buttons on the gamepad? Also, I was planning on using the gamepad charging port as a way to charge the batteries for the Wii and the output screen. Would all of this be possible? Thanks!

I am new to console modding but am really wanting to make my own Wii handheld. While I know you can but consoles like the steam deck I am extremely into making my own handheld. What would be the most simple and part accessable model to build?

MJMT

Portables
I am new to console modding but am really wanting to make my own Wii handheld. While I know you can but consoles like the steam deck I am extremely into making my own handheld. What would be the most simple and part accessable model to build?
Most ppl suggest the Ashiida

It depends whether you have done soldering before or if you have no experience doing soldering. if you have no experience doing soldering, i'd suggest you practice soldering and first make something very beginner friendly like Nold's Noldendo Wii Miicro and then move on to portabilization. In portablization, Ashida is the easiest one out there.

What if we had a few different threads that were FAQs for specific subjects, and if your question wasn't there in the thread, you ask in the thread, and we add it to the FAQ?
Potential topic threads:
Battery FAQ
Custom Regulators FAQ
Soldering FAQ
Equipment and tools FAQ
Basic electronics FAQ

Just an idea
Hi, i've been looking really deeply into this stuff lately, but im starting on my first portable wii (hoping to get to my wii u in future thanks to @yvetlegriffin) and i am noticing an extreme lack of content describing how to design a 3d printed housing for a wii portable. I feel that should be a subject that is explained, since nowadays many people like me have access to a 3D printer and a 3d design software (fusion). Thanks in advance!

I was wiring up the T- connection on an RVL-NTC and I accidentally ripped the resistor off and cant find it. Does anyone know its resistance value? I'd rather fix it now and not wait for a new one.
RVL-NTC.png

I was wiring up the T- connection on an RVL-NTC and I accidentally ripped the resistor off and cant find it. Does anyone know its resistance value? I'd rather fix it now and not wait for a new one.
The website stated it has a 10k ohm resistance with a B value of 3380k. Use that as you will.

You're right, but now that I'm looking at it again I think that was the thermistor itself that came off... so I can't just replace that. I'll have to reorder the part.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You did in fact bump off the thermistor. If you can't locate it, you'll need a new RVL-NTC