Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

Hello, long time lurker here! I thought it would be neat to change the circle pad on my 2DS for a joycon joystick.
I have the old 2DS, the slab design, so no need for folding it closed.

I've seen others swap the joystick into Vitas and PSPs.
My question is it as easy as getting a breakout board and soldering X, Y, VCC, GND to the matching test points on the 2DS?

I appreciate the help!

Attachments

i have a silly soldering question that isn't big enough to make a thread about, hopefully this is the right place?

i'm doing an extremely simple project where i'm attaching wires directly to a PCB with a bunch of through-hole solder pads (the GC+ 2 actually). is it best practice to just thread the wires through the holes and then solder? or should i crimp some sort of ferrule / connector onto each wire and then solder that to the board? or should i do something else?

i'm sure electrically any of these things can make a circuit, just not sure what is proper or optimal. this is an extremely simple first project just to give me some experience with the GC+ board before moving onto a more complex project - just using the board to make a custom hitboxx i have lying around work with the gamecube

i have a silly soldering question that isn't big enough to make a thread about, hopefully this is the right place?

i'm doing an extremely simple project where i'm attaching wires directly to a PCB with a bunch of through-hole solder pads (the GC+ 2 actually). is it best practice to just thread the wires through the holes and then solder? or should i crimp some sort of ferrule / connector onto each wire and then solder that to the board? or should i do something else?

i'm sure electrically any of these things can make a circuit, just not sure what is proper or optimal. this is an extremely simple first project just to give me some experience with the GC+ board before moving onto a more complex project - just using the board to make a custom hitboxx i have lying around work with the gamecube
My strategy for soldering onto those boards is to tin the wire and the pads (essentially fill the holes with solder), then re-apply heat to the pad and thread the wire through the liquid solder, remove the heat and hold the wire there until it solidifies again. It's pretty easy to redo this, so I wouldn't worry about adding any connectors.

I'd recommend taping the bottom with something like Kapton tape to keep the solder from beading underneath it so sits neatly wherever you put it.

i like that idea; basically just converting the through hole into an SMD pad. plus that could be more easily reversed later if i have to reuse the chip somehow. sounds good, i'll give that a try

Portables
I have a gboy kit that I bought a while ago and opened it and now the button pcb is gone. Where can i get one.

Soooo..... where should I start? Should I jump head first into making a wii portlable? Should I start simpler with like an nes/snes (I don’t know if those are easier). should I do the smart thing and take a few weeks to get the basics down. Or one of those neat raspberry pi altoid tin portables? Someone smart tell me what to do please.

Hello, wondering about an emulator on an android tablet. The tablet is a sword health. Yeah I know, strange, but needs to be done. How do I uninstall the current OS and swap with dolphin emulator? Also the tablet comes with 5 motion controllers so if we could use those that would be interesting...

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello, wondering about an emulator on an android tablet. The tablet is a sword health. Yeah I know, strange, but needs to be done. How do I uninstall the current OS and swap with dolphin emulator? Also the tablet comes with 5 motion controllers so if we could use those that would be interesting...
I had a quick gander and couldn't find many resources on the Sword Health tablet, or even anyone who claimed to have succesfully done this before. It seems to be based on a chinese android tablet, the Dragon Touch Notepad 102. I'm not sure how you'd root the thing, but even if you did, you'd need to find a ROM that's compatible with the device and I don't have that information.

Also it's extremely unlikely that you'd ever be able to use the motion sensors for games or anything else outside of their intended use case. Reverse engineering the protocol isn't going to be worth the time

Tito

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I wanna to make a playstation 2 portable but I have no experience makeing portables so I want to meke one that someone has already made but I don't want to sped too much money on it so if anyone would point me to a butget build that would be awsome.

Has anyone seen/used these stickboxes? Would they be compatible with the GC2+? It looks like there are pads on the module for easy hookup.

Portables
No portables (Yet)
So I’ve just found that GingerOfMods would stream his process of building portables, and I wondered if they could be used as a tool to assist with the building process. Maybe not as a full on guide to use, but for general reference to use for someone like myself who is new to portablizing and may have difficulty putting a portable together for the first time. If something similar to this has already been considered or has been created for this purpose alone, let me know as this would benefit me on my portable building quest.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Has anyone seen/used these stickboxes? Would they be compatible with the GC2+? It looks like there are pads on the module for easy hookup.
Considering the reputation Steam Decks have for developing stick drift, personally I'd avoid those and stick to OEM Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft sticks

i have an idea for a really cool portable but im new. Should i start by doing an ashida or smth?