Question Identification of X1 component

Hi everyone, long time no see.

I've had a bit more time on my hand and was inspired by some of the recreations of the Wii motherboard. As a result, I have begun the process of designing my own in Kicad. I am little bit confused however by the part labelled as X1 on the Wii. From my understanding, X1 usually denotes a Crystal Oscillator of some sort and have found a Kicad footprint that seems close to the original.

According to the Wii scans produced, two of the pads of the Oscillator are connected to ground, while the other two pads are connected through resistors and capacitors which then feed through to data lines from the GPU. From the symbols I have seen from Kicad, Crystal Oscillators typically consist of a GND pin, VDD pin, EN pin and an Out pin. According to the compendium however, there does not seem to be any voltages pins in this area, and it seems that VDD has been shorted to GND which does not make sense.

I just wanted to check if anyone knows if X1 is a Crystal Oscillator, and if it is, whether they could confirm how it is connected under the Wii GPU? For reference this is the smd component I am referring to (Big black SMD):

IMG_20230111_184538.jpg

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I think you are confusing an active oscillator with a passive one. An active oscillator will indeed have power supply pins; it generates its own clock output and feeds it to the processor. A passive oscillator resonates with help from the processor. No external power supply is needed. A typical circuit looks like this:
1673826749839.png

I believe X1 to be a passive oscillator, based on the fact that it's connected to two processor pins and the presence of tuning capacitors on those pins. It also appears that there is a biasing resistor between the two pins as well, and series resistors possibly to decrease the output drive.