issue with GC+ in Wii games

I am using a GBoy Rev3. Gamecube games work perfectly, and the button tester shows the controller working fine.
Virtual console and Wii titles exhibit strange controller behaviors in games that support gamecube controls, even when GC2Wiimote is disabled in the per-game configuration menu.

The issue seems to be double inputs from button presses and odd stuttering when tilting sticks.
This is an issue Ive had since BBloader, and it makes most Wii games with standard controls unplayable. Ive just avoided Wii games up to this point but Im starting to really want to make this library available.

Ive tried playing new super mario bros wii (which does not support gamecube controls) using the same config settings and it does not behave as if there is a wiimote connected (no responses from button presses) but when booting DBZ:BT3, it gives me a prompt that suggests Im using a Wiimote. not sure if the game always says that though.

I have the MX chip installed but not bluetooth, if that is relevant. bluetooth is turned off in the per-game config.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That's an odd issue. What version of RVLoader are you on?

I’m using RVLoader 1.6 now. It’s the first version of RVLoader I’ve tried since my old BBloader USB drive lost compatibility and I had to get a new SD for it. But the issue persisted through every version of BBloader I tried.

I used to think GC2Wiimote was permanently on until I tried new super Mario bros. Idk if the behavior I’m describing matches what you would see if you left GC2Wiimote on in games that support GC controls.

I was really hoping I would have seen someone else with this issue but it does seem pretty unique at this point. Almost wonder if a soldering issue is even possibly the reason, but I can’t think of how since GCN games are fine.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I can't think how it'd be a soldering issue either, but stranger things have happened. Can you provide some photos of your settings within RVLoader for a couple of the games that are having issues?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Very odd........ if it was a soldering error or the like, surely it would affect GC games too right? I can't say I've seen an issue like this before. @Aurelio may be able to help, he wrote the software.

The only other things I can think to suggest are replacing the SD to USB adapter, just because sometimes that fixes odd issues, and opening the unit to take some pictures of the USB and control wiring.

EDIT: Actually there is one other thing you may be able to do. If you download the GC+ config homebrew you could try using recovery mode to re-flash/update the GC+, just in case it's somehow a firmware issue.

EDIT: Actually there is one other thing you may be able to do. If you download the GC+ config homebrew you could try using recovery mode to re-flash/update the GC+, just in case it's somehow a firmware issue.
could you point me in the direction of that homebrew download? Im having trouble finding it

Portables

Thanks, I wasnt able to find anything about recovery mode within the configuration homebrew but I was able to update to the latest GC+ version and this unfortunately hasnt resolved the issue.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Sadly that's the limit of my troubleshooting ability for this kind of issue. Short of opening the portable and wiring a different controller in to see if it has the same issue, I don't know what else to do

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Sorry for the late answer. It's most likely an issue with how Hiidra handles the HUD. I will look into it

Hey STGgopher, I am also having the same issue. All Wii games with GameCube Controller support have this problem. The only one that works flawlessly is Mario Kart Wii. Did you find a solution?

I update the GC+ and no dice. I was hoping I would get lucky STGgopher lol. No Sonic Unleashed for this guy TOT

Last edited:
Hey STGgopher, I am also having the same issue. All Wii games with GameCube Controller support have this problem. The only one that works flawlessly is Mario Kart Wii. Did you find a solution?

I update the GC+ and no dice. I was hoping I would get lucky STGgopher lol. No Sonic Unleashed for this guy TOT

sorry, I wish I could say I resolved the issue but it remains a problem as it has since I first built the portable.
It’s definitely disappointing.

sorry, I wish I could say I resolved the issue but it remains a problem as it has since I first built the portable.
It’s definitely disappointing.
//

So far, I have found a total of 3 games (as far as I can tell) that have no issue.

Mario Kart Wii
The Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces
The Muchables

The following games will not load at all, that I have tested.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All-Stars
Castlevania Judgement
All the Naruto Games.

//

So far, I have found a total of 3 games (as far as I can tell) that have no issue.

Mario Kart Wii
The Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces
The Muchables

The following games will not load at all, that I have tested.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All-Stars
Castlevania Judgement
All the Naruto Games.
I know I wasn’t able to boot DBZ: BT3 until I installed the RTC chip. I tried installing Bluetooth but the chip I have looks a little different from the one in the guide and I could never get that one to work. Im not a beginner at soldering either. I almost wonder if I could get the issue to resolve by successfully installing Bluetooth and pairing a controller

I know I wasn’t able to boot DBZ: BT3 until I installed the RTC chip. I tried installing Bluetooth but the chip I have looks a little different from the one in the guide and I could never get that one to work. Im not a beginner at soldering either. I almost wonder if I could get the issue to resolve by successfully installing Bluetooth and pairing a controller
The Dragon Ball games boot for me as well. Playing with the GameCube Controller is buggy. (I have a Ashida with Bluetooth and Wifi). But I am pretty sure that with Wii Remote and Nunchuck it should work flawlessly. I will keep testing random games on the list of Wii games with GameCube controller support and let you know if I find any other ones.

I was going to say that the problem with the GameCube controller feels like if turbo was on or something like that. its bizarre. One day, when a fix comes out, I can play Sonic Unleashed <3

The Dragon Ball games boot for me as well. Playing with the GameCube Controller is buggy. (I have a Ashida with Bluetooth and Wifi). But I am pretty sure that with Wii Remote and Nunchuck it should work flawlessly. I will keep testing random games on the list of Wii games with GameCube controller support and let you know if I find any other ones.

I was going to say that the problem with the GameCube controller feels like if turbo was on or something like that. its bizarre. One day, when a fix comes out, I can play Sonic Unleashed <3
Oh okay that’s interesting that you’re having the issue on an ashida, I’m pretty sure the actual GC plus chip is a newer version in those.Not that I’ve heard of any other GBoy users with the issue either, I’m just stumped as to what is causing it

Oh okay that’s interesting that you’re having the issue on an ashida, I’m pretty sure the actual GC plus chip is a newer version in those.Not that I’ve heard of any other GBoy users with the issue either, I’m just stumped as to what is causing it
If I had to guess, and this is just me guessing for real, I have zero knowledge on any of this. It is a software issue. It might just be fixed in an update in the future.

Quick question, have you had any problems getting the Classic Controller option under GC2wiimote working? I can't make any game work with it. I macro the buttons but it does not seem to work. I guess its still under development as well.

Rapha

I have the same problem is there still no solution for this? Mario Kart is working but no other game, also i cant navigate through the wii menu (should it be possible?), of course connected to av only, on vga theres no picture only sound when i start the wii menu.