Worklog NDS Lite ++

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
Ever since I saw the awesome NDS TV OUT work done by the Nintendo DS lost history team

I had only one idea in mind, : improve the system and be able to integrate it directly into the DS.
(I recently discovered that someone has done this before me, pretty neat link).

Here my goal is to add an AUDIO / VIDEO output with a 2.5mm jack, but not only!
I would also like to keep the top screen, so for that I would solder directly to the motherboard vias, that way I could leave the top screen connected.
I will also add more 1500mah battery instead of 1000, as well as a USB-C socket for recharging.

I just put everything on the PCB today and it works.
The pictures are coming ...
An idea of is look :

NDSjajPBC.png

Last edited:

Benge

Portables
Today I mount everything on the DS lite.
The PCB need some litlle adjustment but nothing wrong with it.
20211006_151640.jpg

I can use the original top screen of the NDS + the output or in portable mode just shutdown the module and go with the original screen only.
I just need to find a way to disable the top screen (just disconnect power) + speaker without a 35pin switch lol (if anyone know a component that can switch voltage line and audio line by just one signal, tell me).

Also I aded the battery and the USB-C charging port, the great news about removing the GBA port is that now with the battery in the middle the NDS is more balanced.
20211006_140839.jpg

(yeah the two screen are broken, I have ordered new with a Zelda theme case).

For now I have to modify the case to fit all greatly !

Benge

Portables
Update !

I have changed the top screen with a new, but the screen are also yellow o.O
I have tried with another one and yellow too ...
So I think my NDS have an issue, the strange thing is with the AV out it works fine.
20211120_164850 (2).jpg

Sadly, I made the decision to not add the top screen, so I moved all component from the top to the bottom :
The 2 speakers, mic and Wifi antenna.

For switching the audio between the speaker and the out, I just added a little push switch between the GND wire of speakers (but strangely didn't work).
20211124_152116 (2).jpg

After all of that I change the bottom screen with a new one, mount everything, and ... no power :/
I disassembled, and I realized that the bottom screen that I had mounted had short-circuited against the motherboard because it was not protected like the original one.
Fortunately, it burns the F2 fuse, so I replaced it with another.
Then I protected the bottom of this screen with capton tape to avoid shorts
20211125_113944 (2).jpg

After all of that I mount everything again ... but the tactile didn't work :facepalm: (before the short-circuit it worked fine).
I swap the touch screen controller chip from another NDS that I am sure it work, but didn't worked.

I see some strange little chip between the 4181AVT and the tactile connector.
I don't know at all what is theses M5C, M5B chip ??? I see some similar on the PS2 MB, but I never found anything on them, anyone knew what is it ?
I'm going to check with multimeter on this board and check if I have the same value on good another board.
20211125_115331 (2).jpg

Last edited: