Discussion ps3 portable

hello there. greetings ! im mel acostoy from philippines i've heard about gman project the ps2 portable and the successful of trimming guide he make. that gives other user potential to make their own portable ps2. Since he made that kind of project. lets take another step of portable next console to portable. how about ps3 portable console. is there a user have a worklog or project make a portable ps3 here and is it possible to trim a board or reverse engineer the ps3 board to know more about details where the power relocation, display, network, controller etc. let me hear your thoughts about this kind of project

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
hello there. greetings ! im mel acostoy from philippines i've heard about gman project the ps2 portable and the successful of trimming guide he make. that gives other user potential to make their own portable ps2. Since he made that kind of project. lets take another step of portable next console to portable. how about ps3 portable console. is there a user have a worklog or project make a portable ps3 here and is it possible to trim a board or reverse engineer the ps3 board to know more about details where the power relocation, display, network, controller etc. let me hear your thoughts about this kind of project
Many people over the years have had a look into this. The consensus is it's impossible to portablise a PS3 like you can a PS2. The PS3 draws too much power, produces too much heat, and has the essential components spread too far out across the motherboard for any functional trim to be practical. Not to mention there are a dozen different motherboard revisions and firmware patching is limited to the point of being not worth bothering with, so every single base function would have to be relocated.

We got very lucky with the Wii and some PS2 revisions that all the essential components for the system to boot were in a relatively small area, allowing for radical board trims. When it comes to the PS3 and pretty much any console after the Wii, it's just not feasible. The systems are too power hungry, too hot, and too complex. You could make a laptop style "portable" out of a PS3, that's definitely been done before, but you can forget a handheld device. The best you could do on that front is use wireless HDMI modules to create a sort of Wii U gamepad to stream games to from a nearby normal PS3.

I am making a ps3 portable sometime next week here (2) DJRexZilla - YouTube that's battery life is somewhat
good. if you guys even want ill show a complete trimming guide and where to get your power sources.
bottom line: its not impossible. and its a handheld.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
sorry im a little bit late for comment about this topic. if theres a project making this one please upload some schematic diagram of the pin point for relocation wiring