Recommended Soldering Iron

Portables

I got lost going through some threads here and found someone explaining a good soldering iron, the Pinecil, but is it something I (anyone for that matter) should use for building a full portable? If not, what’s ideal?

Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
A legit Pinecil is plenty good enough to build a whole portable with. Just get a stand with it, a power supply, grab a can of tip tinner dust, and take care of the tip

Portables
Thanks for replying pretty quickly! :D
> Just get a stand with it
For leaving it when not using it? Sorry if I sound ignorant i’ve just never used a soldering iron
> power supply
I’ve seen that the iron has USB C, but would I power it with just a standard high power usb c input or an actual soldering iron power supply?

Portables
0.25 (just started)
if you want a ready to go soldering iron out of the box, I'd recomend the Hakko FX 888D

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks for replying pretty quickly! :D
> Just get a stand with it
For leaving it when not using it? Sorry if I sound ignorant i’ve just never used a soldering iron
> power supply
I’ve seen that the iron has USB C, but would I power it with just a standard high power usb c input or an actual soldering iron power supply?
The iron gets very hot during use, so you don't want to leave it sitting on a table or other surface for safety reasons. The Pine64 site sells a stand for the Pinecil to hold the tip up away from the work surface, and prevent the possibility of it rolling off the side/into your skin.

For the power supply, yeah you want either a reliable high wattage USB-C supply, or a 24v 4A DC supply like this one. Pine64 has a high wattage USB-C power supply module that you can buy with the Pinecil as well.

I'm not familiar with this brand but reading through the page it seems good enough. What exactly are you looking for in a soldering iron?