Relocate Gamecube memory card slots on Wii

I was just wondering if there were any graphics on relocating the memory card slots on a wii, i am planning on using the OMGWTF trim, and I have varified that it is a 4 layer board that I am using. I was just wonering if there were any vias or test points on the surface of the board after the OMGWTF trim that I would be able to solder a memory card to.

Thanks,

Here is my setup as it is now

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Yes, you can maintain memcard ports on a Wii. Go look at the Definitive Wii Trimming Guide again and there are pinouts for attaching them to a trimmed motherboard, it's just down the page a decent ways. However, if you don't NEED ports for swapping different saves or whatnot, I would recommend backing up your saves using GCMM and then converting them to a format that works with Nintendont. I used this method and have been very happy with it. The ability to plug my USB drive into my portable and play my saves and then plug that same drive into my home Wii and continue my save is something I really enjoy, not to mention the fact that I don't have to make room in my portable for those giant ports. Just food for thought.

Is there a reason you want to? Nintendont can emulate memory cards.
Since I am making a portable, i want to maintain the ports so that I can go from the GameCube plugged into my tv, to the portable by simply grabbing the memory card and putting it in the portable.

Yes, you can maintain memcard ports on a Wii. Go look at the Definitive Wii Trimming Guide again and there are pinouts for attaching them to a trimmed motherboard, it's just down the page a decent ways. However, if you don't NEED ports for swapping different saves or whatnot, I would recommend backing up your saves using GCMM and then converting them to a format that works with Nintendont. I used this method and have been very happy with it. The ability to plug my USB drive into my portable and play my saves and then plug that same drive into my home Wii and continue my save is something I really enjoy, not to mention the fact that I don't have to make room in my portable for those giant ports. Just food for thought.
That's perfect, Thank you very much, will keep taking pictures and post with updates as I have them.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I was just wondering if there were any graphics on relocating the memory card slots on a wii, i am planning on using the OMGWTF trim, and I have varified that it is a 4 layer board that I am using. I was just wonering if there were any vias or test points on the surface of the board after the OMGWTF trim that I would be able to solder a memory card to.

Thanks,

Here is my setup as it is now
I just want to point out that if you're going to trim your Wii and use the PortablizeMii pack, you can't actually use saves on the memory card. It just throws an error when the game loads if you boot from Nintendont without memory card emulation on.

I just want to point out that if you're going to trim your Wii and use the PortablizeMii pack, you can't actually use saves on the memory card. It just throws an error when the game loads if you boot from Nintendont without memory card emulation on.
I installed portableizeMii and got the error where it would only give me the option to boot to the wii menu, I did check that my usb drive and micro sd card were formatted correctly, so I believe that I am just using a usb stick that is incompatible. I am using the SanDisk Ultra Fit USB3.0 32gb usb drive:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandis...sh-drive-black-silver/9089012.p?skuId=9089012 The usb drive is super small though so I want to keep using it, and i've always only wanted a GameCube Portable. With the Wiikey Fusion being so hard to locate now, I just decided that the wii would be the next best thing. SO due to PortablizeMii not working for me, i reconfigured prii-loaded to boot into Nintendont directly, and got a common error with Nintendont, the DSI exception:https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/issues/289 and just downloaded the fix and switched out the binaries on my usb drive. In its current state, it is able to boot directly into Nintendont, and it can run GameCube ISO's and load save data off of the GameCube memory card.

Here is the Nintendont fix loader.dol that I replaced the boot.dol with https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont

Thank you for you pointing this out and trying to save me!

All wired up to the mem-card slot, now just to wire it into the wii. Also I recommend using the wii heat-sync as a wire-comb to keep your wires straight as you are soldering.

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I'd also recommend investing in some 32 gauge magnet wire. It'll make soldering to the vias on the Wii much, much easier, whereas you're probably going to have a harder time soldering those big wires to tiny points.

I'd also recommend investing in some 32 gauge magnet wire. It'll make soldering to the vias on the Wii much, much easier, whereas you're probably going to have a harder time soldering those big wires to tiny points.
Dang you were right, it was tough soldering these onto the board, but everything worked out!