Worklog Scrambled's Firsty

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
Hey all!
After a couple of enterprises into the Wii portabilizing scene, I realized I wanted something else to destroy. So I picked the N64.
Since this is my first portable N64 I'm just going to keep it simple. I will be using composite video since the N64 Advanced and UltraVGA are both out of stock.
I tested audio using the audio out on the 64 routed through a u amp. It seemed fine, so I'll just use that. Anyways, pics!!
IMG_0577.JPG

To ensure maximum compatibility, I performed a ramswap and terminated it using the Akira method. Also am working on the voltage regs. I got one from Pololu and the other from Adafruit ( just to trigger @Shank ).
IMG_0580.JPG

Unfortunately, for now, my luck ran out in two places. First of all, even if I hardwire a controller in, as shown here, the system says no controller. Any Ideas?
IMG_0586.JPG

The screen also has odd discoloration sometimes, leaving Mario a bit.. ghastly.
Oh, well. I guess I'll just order another screen and try again.
Every copy of Super Mario 64 is personalized. Every copy.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'd clean all that burnt flux off the jumper pak relocation for a start. Transient shorts are your enemy, and flux loves to hide them

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
Yeah, @Stitches you are probably right. I've been meaning to clean the RAM, but I am perpetually out of rubbing alcohol.
Anyways, quick update. Happy New Year's, everyone! I started fiddling around with the controller today, since I just got back from vacation. I discovered that by shorting the P1 pin to the pin below it, I could get the controller working. Got a new screen, and the discoloration is not quite as bad. However, I discovered that it has burn-in issues.
IMG_0676.JPG

This is what it looks like with a black screen. Any ideas or suggestions? I haven't cleaned the N64 yet, but I'm not sure if that's the issue.

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
I did some more troubleshooting, and the screen seems to have the same random discoloration with a different input. It has the burn in issues as well.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Burn in is a per panel thing afaik. Unless you can find something off with the panel that's fixable, you may need a new LCD

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
LCD panel issues aside, I put some work into the controller. I'm using a Brawler64 controller made by RetroFighters.
IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

I wired up a forever pak directly to the controller. I tested it by saving a ghost from Mario Kart.
IMG_0692.JPG

Also, the ramswap is still working!
IMG_0691.JPG

A few other things. I will probably use a portrait orientation, instead of landscape, which I was initially going to use. The reason for this is that I want to avoid splitting the controller, and the PCB fits perfectly on top of the N64 PCB. Anyways, hope to continue working on this soon!