Worklog The s-WII-ch (my first Wii portable)

Hey everyone. I have just started on my first portable. I trimmed the Wii last night and tried to relocate the u10, but I may have messed up the board. Is it still usable?

Attachments

Bozer

if your using the 4layer tech boards then you dont need to relocate the u10, so I think it should be fine. somebody else might correct me

I really appreciate it. Thanks for getting back so fast! I'll do some research and look into it

With the 4 layertech boards the u10 i not needed, but in any case you have to removed the three capacitors around the old u5

Is it okay that I removed the u5? Will I need to replace it with something or can it stay as it is?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Do I need to do any board prep if I'm using the 4 Layer Tech boards?
Aside from installing RVLoader and verifying USB compatibility, before trimming you could desolder the components in the way of the trim line to make things easier on yourself

So, its okay that I already removed u5 and the surrounding resistors and capacitors, or will I have to replace them with something even though I'm using the 4 layer tech boards?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you're using the PMS2 or PMSlite you don't need to replace them with anything. You just run a little wire from the U10 pad on the PMS to the U10 via on the underside of the Wii

This is the wiring diagram of U10, so you only need to connect GND
Weld to a point, and then connect two external pins to 3.3v and U10

20221116072710.png

Also, I was wondering, what's better for a heat sink fan. Blowing air in or sucking air out?

Are squishy tact switches reliable for using as face buttons? I've seen other people use them but I'm scared that they will break or something. I purchased these (I promise this is not a Rick Roll). Has anyone used this kind before?
Yup. A lot of projects like to use those. It’s basically like if you were using a membrane (like what wiimotes use) but wrapped up in one little package. They’re quieter than regular tacts, and are very easy to press. The only downside is they’re a fair bit bigger than other tact switches.