which display is good

Hello from Germany,
I lurked so long time often in this forum, and now I will build my own handheld. Now I have a problem, I don't really know what Display is good to use. I look for displays that have a size around 4 inches, because I will build a small handheld that fits in a pocket, like the Gameboy color. On Aliexpres, Wish and Alibaba I find a lot of displays that definitely usable. But that's what's stopping me from buying one of them is that some of there has a thick line on the side who nothing can display, and when you display something it looks strange as if that the input sice was wrong or that the pane was too large, or so on. And now my question is which displays you use to make a handheld?
Thank you in advance and had a nice day.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
There are several commonly used LCD sizes. The major ones are:
  • 3.5 inch 4:3 displays
  • 4.3 inch 16:9 displays (Least commonly used)
  • 5 inch 4:3 displays
  • 5 inch 16:9 displays (Most commonly used)
  • 7 inch 16:9 displays
Ideally once selecting an LCD panel size, you'd look around for an IPS panel (IPS panels have the best colours and viewing angles) with a driver board that accepts VGA (if building a Wii portable), or HDMI if building something like a Pi handheld. 4layertech.com sells the 5 inch 16:9 IPS screens that most people use for portables nowdays, but you can use any TFT screen and driver board that has the standard video inputs that you need.

Thanks for your fast answer and your information.
Have you a good recommendation for a 4.3 or 3.5 inch display who I can use on an SBC and I do also need the display board, or can I connect it directly to the SBC? ? Because I have no much experience about small displays and many display on the familiar site look strange, then they have this thick line on the side ore the product pictures looks Photoshop. And the descriptions are always so confusing about the usable and the real screen size. But don't know with or without the panel, then now than it's obvious that is make it bigger.

There are several commonly used LCD sizes. The major ones are:
  • 3.5 inch 4:3 displays
  • 4.3 inch 16:9 displays (Least commonly used)
  • 5 inch 4:3 displays
  • 5 inch 16:9 displays (Most commonly used)
  • 7 inch 16:9 displays
Ideally once selecting an LCD panel size, you'd look around for an IPS panel (IPS panels have the best colours and viewing angles) with a driver board that accepts VGA (if building a Wii portable), or HDMI if building something like a Pi handheld. 4layertech.com sells the 5 inch 16:9 IPS screens that most people use for portables nowdays, but you can use any TFT screen and driver board that has the standard video inputs that you need.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks for your fast answer and your information.
Have you a good recommendation for a 4.3 or 3.5 inch display who I can use on an SBC and I do also need the display board, or can I connect it directly to the SBC? ? Because I have no much experience about small displays and many display on the familiar site look strange, then they have this thick line on the side ore the product pictures looks Photoshop. And the descriptions are always so confusing about the usable and the real screen size. But don't know with or without the panel, then now than it's obvious that is make it bigger.

I don't have a specific recommendation as I don't really work with SBCs, but I have seen these screens used in some Pi handhelds. All screens need a driver board (many come with a driver board), and if you're using a SBC you'll most likely need a screen with an HDMI input like the one I linked.

As for the bezel around trhe edges, most screens have that for manufacturing cost reduction and ease of mounting.

I don't have a specific recommendation as I don't really work with SBCs, but I have seen these screens used in some Pi handhelds. All screens need a driver board (many come with a driver board), and if you're using a SBC you'll most likely need a screen with an HDMI input like the one I linked.

As for the bezel around trhe edges, most screens have that for manufacturing cost reduction and ease of mounting.
Thanks for your help.
I found this side https://www.waveshare.com/ that's a Manufacturer and seller of displays, they have many sizes and shapes and types from very small to very large displays. Many of the Cheap displays are copies of them. The quality looks Good, they have a good documentation and instruction how to mount it and how to install and set up the software.

Thanks for your help and have a nice day.