Which is the best sega genesis board for a portable?

Hi!

Which is the best sega genesis version for a portable? I mean, the one with smallest board or that could be trimmed the most?

Thanks in advantage!

Last edited:

MP3

Portables
There's the Nomad which is an official portable genesis. If you were to trim a board the Genesis 3 would probably be your best bet.

Yeah, i know the Nomad. But my intention is to build a smaller genesis portable and use a everdrive on It, so i'll be able to have all sega genesis game library with me at any time, without the need of cartridges.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Technically it's likely an ATGames clone but those are so terrible it's not even worth it. That said, one of them (no idea which one) had the firmware hacked for better sound and already has an SD Card slot for more roms, so that one is basically already done lol.

Regarding the Nomad, with all the mods and hacks done to it now you I'm almost positive you don't need the bigger daughterboard with the controller on it. There's a lot of circuitry but I think that's from the old screen. I haven't gotten around to tracing the ribbon cable connection between the boards yet but the one on the back is a lot smaller and you could in theory make a smaller Genesis Portable.

There's been a few trimmed Genesis 3's which would be your best bet for official board portable though, yes.

Thanks, MP3 and Doom!

I did not know about the genesis 3. I thought that they were all like like genesis 1, or genesis 2. I didn't know that Majesco manufactared model. That tiny motherboard will work and look great after trimmed.

P.S. Here in Brazil the third model based on japanese mega drive is the Mega drive 3, and is manufactared by Tec Toy. They look exactly like the USA genesis 2. That's the reason for my confusion.

By the way...

I intend to use an everdrive with the genesis 3 board. Does anyone knows if It works fine with the Majesco console?

Deacer

Does anyone know a tutorial to resize a motherboard on a Sega Genesis?