WiiVision

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
It's been a little bit since I built this, but it's been pointed out to me that I've never made a Cutting Edge post for any of my builds, so I suppose here is a good place to start!

The WiiVision

Snapchat-1949052773.jpg

Funny story about this one: I originally had bought a bunch of parts to design my own custom portable (after building my first ever G-Boy), and by the time I had the parts all laid out how I wanted them, I had come to realize that it was 85-90% just a WiiVision. Years went by and I did nothing with said parts (I got sidetracked with all other kinds of fun builds, like G-Boys, G-Boys, G-Boys and more G-Boys). Eventually I reached out to Gunnar and asked if I could buy a WiiVision shell off of him, and after a PayPal transaction and a couple days, one showed up in my mail.

I started to assemble it, and came to the quick realization that I did not want to trim the buttons from the Mad Catz controller I bought. Instead, I modeled the buttons and resin printed them to fit perfectly in the case as-is. Went I went to go screw the button mounting plates to the posts inside the front half of the shell, I snapped a screw off and had to use a soldering iron and some pliers to get the screw out... And so it sat on my shelf for a couple months while I favored other projects (see above).

Anyway, after some time, I got burnt out from all the G-Boys and Ashidas and whatever else I was building, so I finally sat down one weekend and banged this sucker out. I never made a worklog, so feast your eyes on some random pics I took throughout the build:

20220907_202546.jpg
20220907_210533.jpg
20220908_004212.jpg
20220908_004226.jpg

20220908_013616.jpg
20220908_050523.jpg

20220908_200950.jpg

The Final Noodz:

20220908_235415.jpg

20220908_235902.jpg
20220908_235906.jpg

As of right now, this is still my favorite portable to play on. Even though the screen isn't IPS, it still looks pretty darn good to me, and the controls feel so right and it just fits so well in the hand.​

cy

Portables
Internals are lookin' real fine! I completely understand what you mean about the screen in this bad boy. The G-Wii uses the same screen (if I'm not mistaken) and I've never felt the need to upgrade to IPS because the LCD in it is just so high quality. How do the joysticks feel? I always assumed switch joysticks in a build like this would feel wrong with OEM buttons, but I'm curious to hear your input. I've wanted to build a WiiVision for quite a while now, but haven't really had the parts or funds to. Someday when PMS's aren't as difficult to come by, and I have more disposable income, I'd love to build my own!

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Internals are lookin' real fine! I completely understand what you mean about the screen in this bad boy. The G-Wii uses the same screen (if I'm not mistaken) and I've never felt the need to upgrade to IPS because the LCD in it is just so high quality. How do the joysticks feel? I always assumed switch joysticks in a build like this would feel wrong with OEM buttons, but I'm curious to hear your input. I've wanted to build a WiiVision for quite a while now, but haven't really had the parts or funds to. Someday when PMS's aren't as difficult to come by, and I have more disposable income, I'd love to build my own!
Honestly, the whole controller feels nowhere near as jarring as it looks; it actually feels quite natural to use. The Mad Catz buttons are also not the exact shape of the OEM GC controller; couple that with the moved X button and the fact that I resin printed my own buttons (which have flat tops as opposed to convex tops), and it really feels completely different from using a GC controller.

I'm bringing it to MGC next year, so I'm curious to see your reaction to feeling it in person!

hi i was wondering if you know any way i can get the case files for a wiivision i really like the design and i would like to make my own