Search results

1. passerine

Discussion PSA: Be very, very careful if you decide to delid the GPU of a 6-layer board...

Even with the use of soft materials like cotton swabs, microfibre cloths, isopropanol prep pads, and even dedicated glasses/lens cleaning wipes, I still managed to heavily scratch up the surfaces of the GPU dies... Weirdly enough I never was able to scratch the surface of the 4-layer GPU die...
  2. passerine

Discussion Delidded the Wii CPU and GPU

Eh I mostly did it because I wanted to look at the silicon under a microscope. I’m amazed at how they managed to fit essentially an iMac G3 in such a small package, but I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise now since we have smaller and more powerful ARM CPUs. So no iMac G3 on an FPGA either? damn
  3. passerine

Huh, check this out. There seems to be a little pinkish discolouration on the CPU die. Not sure if this is because I turned it on for about a minute or so to make sure everything works before I trim the PCB (which it does fortunately), but I’m curious as to what this is.
  4. passerine

Yeah the SNES uses a modified version of the 16 bit modification of the 6502 which is already a modification of the Motorola 6800 (Two zeros, not three) so it is a bit of an oddball, although a company called Analogue sells FPGA-based SNESes that they claim are engineered with maximum...
  5. passerine

Well I heard of a GitHub project called MiSTer which uses an FPGA board to emulate old systems based on the Motorola 68000, primary Atari ST, Amiga, and several arcade boards. Hell there’s an FPGA-based Amiga called the Vampire4 whose “68000” processor outperforms any real 68k ever made. But...
  6. passerine

Was interested in getting a shot of the silicon underneath the heat spreaders, and potentially improving thermals, so I took a razor blade, an old credit card, and a huge leap of faith, and was able to pop both of them off and get a nice gander at the silicon. Admitted there is a bit of...
  7. passerine

Question First time trimming, have both a CPU-01 and CPU-40 revision Wiis

I was wanting to use a WiiMote with Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy, so I guess I'm up for the challenge. Probably will have to add a couple of infrared lights so the WiiMote cursor can show up.
  8. passerine

BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

I was thinking of taking a look at the silicon with a microscope and possibly reverse engineering the chip. I have my work cut out for that though.
  9. passerine

Question First time trimming, have both a CPU-01 and CPU-40 revision Wiis

Heya, quarantine got me bored asf and I grew up on the Wii/GC both so I'm interested in making a portable. Blame my utter daftness and idiocy for overlooking the warning not to use a SanDisk USB drive. Well, I was able to use it to install BBLoader, however it got stuck on "exitting" after...
  10. passerine

BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

Hi! Came here from Linus Tech Tips' video on making a portable Wii. That and the GameCube were my childhood. Since I'm studying computer engineering, I thought it would be a fruitful waste of my time and money to build a portable Wii and learn skills like using a multimeter and soldering iron...