Solved Controller port rewiring post-trim: Check my understanding?

I'm on the last leg of what I want to do with my wii trim and I already took a run at trying to wire up a controller to work, unfortunately it didn't, so I'm back here to ask more questions!

I have a board for controller ports, and after looking at Jeff's Wii Micro thread image for his controller wiring, it all seemed straightforward: his controller port board is given 5v power via daisy chaining from the usbc toggle switch, and it gets daisy chained 3.3v power from the regulator that outputs 3.3v. And the GND is grounded in one spot so there's some safety there So I tried to replicate this for one port and I couldn't get itto work, and so I thought either I did something wrong or my understanding is wrong

In order to get a controller port wired and working, my absolute musts are essentially 3.3v power, data wire, and grounding
Open questions:
1. Am I fine to only wire up one controller port even if four ports are still on the same board? Will this cause any problems?
2.I noticed that in the diagram for controller ports there are data traces, but there's also this 3.3v section below the 4 blue trace holes. Do I need to pipe my 3.3v power into that side of the component? I didn't do this when trying to wire up one port because I thought that wiring 3.3 to the controller port board would be sufficient.

essentially:Can I just wire up one port, and do I only need 3.3v, Data, and GND as a requirement to do so ON THAT BOARD?

See attached image for what I was trying to do with my trimmed wii

ok-lol.png

Thank you!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah you can wire up just one port. They're are all separated, so wiring one on its own won't cause any troubles.
The resistor array for the controller data lined should already have a 3.3v supply from the motherboard. You can volt check the 3.3v side of the array with a multimeter to make sure, but you shouldn't need to supply 3.3v to the array manually.

If you're having trouble with getting it to work, a photo or two would help for troubleshooting