Controller Question

Hello all, I know I've asked about a million questions at this point but I do appreciate all the help it's helped me out a ton. Finally have picture and have the screen mounted. Just having controller issues now. Not sure what's going on here everything is hooked up but I'm just not seeing any controller input at all out of the Wii. Any ideas what's going on here or where to start troubleshooting? Thanks a ton
20231108_122215.jpg
20231108_122120.jpg
20231108_122111.jpg

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
That is a 3v3 supply from the Wii board. You don't need to wire 3v3 to that point. It looks like you have 3v3 wired to your controller board, I would confirm that just to be sure.

That is a 3v3 supply from the Wii board. You don't need to wire 3v3 to that point. It looks like you have 3v3 wired to your controller board, I would confirm that just to be sure.
I have 3.3v wired to the PCB and I checked using a multimeter and I definitely have 3.3v running to the board

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Have you confirmed that there is continuity between the D pad on the GC+ itself and the P1 data via? Also, you might need thicker wires for the 3.3v supply and ground

Portables
I don’t know why I thought you needed to wire 3.3v there my bad.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Have you confirmed that there is continuity between the D pad on the GC+ itself and the P1 data via? Also, you might need thicker wires for the 3.3v supply and ground
Honestly, you can power the GC+ with 34awg, so whatever he's using should be fine.

I'm using 30 AWG to power the board, so that should be fine I think. Is there a specific place on the GC+ board to test continuity or should I just test each terminal to see if there is a glaring issue with any of them.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm using 30 AWG to power the board, so that should be fine I think. Is there a specific place on the GC+ board to test continuity or should I just test each terminal to see if there is a glaring issue with any of them.
Just the D pad on the GC+ is good. If you get continuity from there to the player 1 data line on the Wii, then your controller data wiring is fine.

Although I must recommend that you shorten the amount of exposed wire in your build. There are many instances of exposed wires being long enough to short against nearby ground and voltage pins, which could damage your components

Just the D pad on the GC+ is good. If you get continuity from there to the player 1 data line on the Wii, then your controller data wiring is fine.

Although I must recommend that you shorten the amount of exposed wire in your build. There are many instances of exposed wires being long enough to short against nearby ground and voltage pins, which could damage your components
Ok, I am seeing continuity between the GC+ and the Wii. I will try to snap a picture later today when I have someone here to take the picture while use the multimeter. I'll start cleaning up some of that exposed wire in places. I don't think the controller is grounding out but better be safe than sorry. Could it just be the PCB board? Is there a way to verify that the individual buttons and joy cons on the pcb board are actually sending signal?

Update:

I swapped out the PCB board and resoldered everything with no luck. I get continuity to the Wii vias, I get 3.3v to the board but no luck. Is there a way to check if this guy on the Wii is damaged somehow or not getting singnal correctly?
20231108_115429.jpg

Further edit:

Still nothing. I wiped everything down with IA, still see continuity to the Wii and I'm getting 3.3v to the PCB but nothing. No buttons work and no joystick input. I'm wondering if the issue lies somewhere with the Wii. Everything else looks solid I just can't seem to figure out what's wrong. Would the data line that goes to the Wii need to be shielded? I've not seen anyone do it but would this magnet wire need to be wrapped like the VGA wires? I'm just trying to think of anything else that could be causing an issue there.

Last edited:
The controller data line rarely needs shielding, but shortening the wire may be of benefit for troubleshooting
Ok, I shortened the data wire. I was testing today and noticed on the GC+ the data line voltage holds at 3.3v and I see no fluctuation when pressing inputs on the controls. Should I not be seeing a voltage fluctuation to the data line when inputs are being pressed?