Question Joycon rail to USB

Is it possible? I have a MacBook Pro whitch I want to make a handheld out of, using joycons but I don’t know how to do that. I have no pcb design or soldering experience, so I am trying to avoid them.

It looks like you can connect the joy con via bluetooth.
  1. Remove the Joy-Cons from your Nintendo Switch.
  2. On the inside of each Joy-Con, press the small pairing button until the light continuously flashes.
  3. Open the System Settings app on your Mac.
  4. Navigate to the Bluetooth section.
  5. Scroll to the bottom until you reach the Nearby Devices section.
  6. Locate and select your Joy-Cons from the list of available devices.
  7. Wait a few moments.
Source: https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-use-nintendo-switch-pro-controller-and-joy-cons-with-mac/

It looks like you can connect the joy con via bluetooth.
  1. Remove the Joy-Cons from your Nintendo Switch.
  2. On the inside of each Joy-Con, press the small pairing button until the light continuously flashes.
  3. Open the System Settings app on your Mac.
  4. Navigate to the Bluetooth section.
  5. Scroll to the bottom until you reach the Nearby Devices section.
  6. Locate and select your Joy-Cons from the list of available devices.
  7. Wait a few moments.
Source: https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-use-nintendo-switch-pro-controller-and-joy-cons-with-mac/
Thank you for the info, but i am trying to mount the joycon TO the macbook, so that it will charge while being used.

Wolf33

Is it possible? I have a MacBook Pro whitch I want to make a handheld out of, using joycons but I don’t know how to do that. I have no pcb design or soldering experience, so I am trying to avoid them.
Yes, you can convert anything to anything with translational layers and voltage regulators. This is a great resource for that; https://github.com/dekuNukem/Nintendo_Switch_Reverse_Engineering
It would be easier to just connect via BT and modify a USB Joy-Con charger for keeping them charged.

Last edited:
I know I am a bit late and this might not be useful to you atm but If you still want an answer from someone who doesn't know much about this stuff I would suggest looking into joycon charging grips.

No idea about mac but on Windows you can use joycons as a wired controller with them. If you extended/replace the cables from the circuit board to the the rails in the charging grip then it might be able to do what you wanted.
Chargeinsides.jpg

I know I am a bit late and this might not be useful to you atm but If you still want an answer from someone who doesn't know much about this stuff I would suggest looking into joycon charging grips.

No idea about mac but on Windows you can use joycons as a wired controller with them. If you extended/replace the cables from the circuit board to the the rails in the charging grip then it might be able to do what you wanted.
View attachment 31147
this is actually a cool idea. I never thought of that since I have 3rd party joycon that don’t fit in the grip, but I could make a custom casing so that they do fit