Worklog My First Portable PS2 (Model SCPH-79001)

Portables
I'm finally making a worklog for my ps2 portable project. I will not start on the physical part of the project for at least a few weeks because of a hand injury, but for now I can figure out what I am doing with the project. My main goal with this project is to learn, but also to make a portable ps2 that isn't too big, uses an original controller, and doesn't use USB loading. I also have plans to make a dock with audio video out, network (for network game loading), and a built in ps2 multitap (I don't know yet if I will actually make dock).

Here is a list of parts I have (If I am missing anything please tell me):
- PS2 (Model SCPH-79001)
- PS2 Controller
- FreeMCBoot mem card
- 5" screen from 4layertech.com
- U-AMP 2 from 4layertech.com
- CUSTOMLED Power PS2 by @Mister M
- Some Random 12v 3000mAh Power Bank with 5v, 3M max discharge currant. (12v and 5v in one is good because the CUSTOMLED Power PS2 by uses 5v, I think, and the screen uses 12v without modification)
- wire: 34AWG Enameled, and some 20AWG stranded silicone wires
(helpfully didn't forget something)

Bill_The_Fish PS2 Portable Parts.jpg

Parts I know I'm going to need (If anyone has recommendations for specific parts please let me know):
- new 12v dc battery pack, or replacement 18650 battery/ 3.6v batteries
- ps2 magic gate memory card
- MC2SIO MicroSD ISO Loader
- tact switches (rubber and plastic)
- screws for 3d printed case
- speakers (not required)
- misc ports, switches, and other things

Tools I know I'm going to need (again, If anyone has recommendations for specific parts please let me know):
- Dremel diamond cutting wheel
- solder paste

Case:
I plan on 3d printing a case that I will design in onshape, I will try to keep it small so it can hopefully be printed in resin later. I want the design to be more like a square-ish Game Boy, and I will use original ps2 controller buttons.

Final Questions (its ok if some aren't answered I can probably find answers, and some of the questions are stupid):
1. How well does MC2SIO MicroSD ISO Loader work, does it have good compatibility with games?
2. should all the boards grounds be connected?
3. I am planning on doing the advanced trim, but there are some areas I would want to trim less (ie. the network port, or memory/controller ports). is it ok to leave some parts intact like that on the trim?

If anyone has suggestions or comments I would love to hear them, because with my hand being out of order for now I will be doing lots of planning right now. (this took a long time to write with only 1 1/2 hands, so the spelling is probably not great)

Last edited: