Soldering iron recommendation

Portables
working on No.1
Hi all,

after working with this soldering iron on my Wii, I have been told to get a better one. I have been recommended the pinecil already, but i want more options.

1712022153275.png

any suggestions? i would appreciate any help/ suggestions i can get.

Hi all,

after working with this soldering iron on my Wii, I have been told to get a better one. I have been recommended the pinecil already, but i want more options.

any suggestions? i would appreciate any help/ suggestions i can get.
I've heard a lot of good stuff regarding the PINECIL. I personally use the 50 W Schneider one from Harbor Freight. It's not... great... (as seen from my failed U10 relocation today) BUT it does have a temperature controller. If you have a good budget for it, I'd go with a HAKKO FX-888D *or 888DX*.

Portables
working on No.1
I've heard a lot of good stuff regarding the PINECIL. I personally use the 50 W Schneider one from Harbor Freight. It's not... great... (as seen from my failed U10 relocation today) BUT it does have a temperature controller. If you have a good budget for it, I'd go with a HAKKO FX-888D *or 888DX*.
thanks for the recommendations. but wow, that is a pretty penny

Portables
working on No.1
yeah, that's what i came up with too. is the pricing usd or aud?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Make sure that you get a good USB-C supply to power it! A 65w PD compliant supply with a good quality 65w rated cable is the required hardware to drive it hard enough for our use case. A 100w PD compliant supply with a 100w cable is better, but 65w will do. Any less than 65w and you'll run into major troubles soldering to large pads, and ground planes will be basically impossible.

When selecting a power supply, be sure to check that the rated output wattage is per port rather than combined output. Else you might end up buying a shitty supply that can't run the iron.

Portables
working on No.1
Would this work well?

1712037212061.png

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Portables
working on No.1
thanks. would pine's usb-c cable be better?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If your HP supply operates to the marked spec, no, they'd both function equally well. The Pine supply might have better ergonomics though. It's designed to sit on the desk with convenient access, and the cables are probably a bit nicer to use and won't hold a memory