Worklog Windows PC stick inside Gameboy shell

Portables
I know it's been done before. I know I need to finish my summer contest entry. And I know this is strikingly similar to my summer contest entry!
However, what would be real cool other than a Windows computer inside the Gameboy form factor? While working on the SNES x86, I gained much insight into how such a device would function. Here is my idea laid out in a poorly drawn wiring diagram:

test_wiring_2.png

There will be many improvements over the SNES x86. For starters, there will be sound coming from a speaker or a headphone jack. I wasn't able to procure a USB-to-amp board in time for the 2023 contest, so it feels great to squash an imperfection of my creation. I will also design a custom PCB, which gives me the greatest ability of all: design freedom. The SNES x86 was designed around the components, not the looks. Here, I can place the components virtually anywhere. All I need to do is avoid case tweaks that require a major design overhaul. Lastly, it uses 18650 batteries, which I consider a direct upgrade to almost blowing up my room in an attempt to salvage batteries and boards from portable phone chargers.

There are indeed downsides to downgrading the physical footprint of the SNES x86 device. To start, I cannot add a rechargeable battery plug. I know 18650 batteries are supposed to be rechargeable, but I do not see a way for power to reach the batteries from an external power source without reaching the rest of the components connected to the 8.4v to 5v buck converter. The buck converter goes both ways, perfectly allowing me to charge the batteries, but a lot of that charging power also goes into components similarly connected in parallel to the converter. The plan is to do what the original manufacturers of the Gameboy did: leave it to the consumer to figure out how to power it. In other words, someone's gotta take out the batteries and replace them with fresh ones. I'll do the same. Another downside is that I also have to redesign the back housing of the Gameboy. I remain firm on maintaining the general appearance of the Gameboy, but I have very, very high doubts that all those components fit in the shell, especially with half of the Gameboy rear shell being taken up by four AA batteries. The possible addition of shoulder buttons add ambiguity to keeping the back shell as well.

Overall, I am incredibly excited to begin work on this project. Here's a bonus: If the case looks cool, it justifies the approximately $250 price tag for mediocre performance... right?

Last edited:
Portables
I have just received every component except the USB splitter (thanks, tinkerBOY Ebay). I don't know if I can bring myself to dissect the Gameboy, though. After opening it up and inspecting the damages, I confirmed the screen and speaker did not work. For $40, I'd say the overall condition was above average. Upon further inspection, I knew I could fix it entirely. In fact, I should've made a video of me returning its former glory! I reflowed solder to the screen ribbons, removed rust from the headphone jack, and cleaned everything that isn't electronic with soap and water. It's not bad if I say so myself.
As for the components that I was planning to salvage from a NON-WORKING Gameboy, I'll have to buy a headphone jack and extra buttons+membranes from Ebay.
gameboy222222.jpg
gameboy11111.jpg

Now comes the tedious part: 3D modeling the parts. This'll take a while...

Wolf33

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Have you considered putting USB ports where the cartridge slot goes? Would be neat to use a flash drive as a game came cart.

that sounds cool.
Maybe you could put a gba slot where the cartridge port was, that way you can play original games?

Portables
Alright, here's the model. I expect to let the individual components float around the top of the rear case. I will most likely use some hot glue.
model1.PNG
model2.PNG

1706333166576.png
1706333333757.png

Look at that backside! The fan ventilation holes go straight over the hands! Well, at least that's the exhaust and not the fan intake, which is the higher up one. The micro SD card slot is right next to the battery, requiring the power to be off to change cards. There's also two pushbutton shoulder button nubs.
As for IO, we got one micro USB port for charging the two batteries and one USB port. That's it.

HOW I MADE IT
Simple: BitBuilt's resident scanner, Wesk (and supertazon so I don't need to pay)! Thanks to them, I took the DMG console scan STL and recreated an almost analogous rear case, which thus allowed for a perfect fit. From there, I redesigned the entire rear to be around 5mm more depth and accommodate every board. Of course, much consideration had to go into how everything was arranged. Since I haven't taken a circuits class yet, I can't fabricate my own PCB's. One day!

SNEAK PEAK
1706334020362.png