Worklog [2023 Contest Entry] SEGA DreamXtreme!

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
I know nothing of this Maplepad...nor do I even know what a Pi Pico is XD I assume the pico is some variation of that rasberry pi thingy?
Raspberry Pi Pico is a inexpensive dev board for the $1 RP2040 microcontroller that has been used in a *ton* of different projects. It's extremely powerful for its cost and pretty easy to implement into projects. It's also open source, so you'll find a lot of alternative form factors & variations of the Pico that may suit your project better.

As for Maplepad, I highly recommend giving it a look for your project! Yveltal put a lot of work into it and it's a great idea for embedding into a Dreamcast portable! One thing to keep in mind however is that there seems to be some game compatibility issues, however I'm sure that will eventually be worked out in a future firmware update. (I offered to look into these issues and fix them but I just haven't had the time, with my contest entry and all, lol)

A link to it's Github page can be found here. Hope this helps!

Portables
Too many
Oh god...it uses code....yeah, I'll pass. Code is so far beyond alien to me, it's not even funny lol. I prefer to not emulate anything, anyway.

Appreciate the info tho..maybe someday I'll break down and emulate...

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Oh god...it uses code....yeah, I'll pass. Code is so far beyond alien to me, it's not even funny lol. I prefer to not emulate anything, anyway.

Appreciate the info tho..maybe someday I'll break down and emulate...
All you have to do is flash it to a Pi Pico (literally connect Pi to PC via USB, drag uf2 file onto the Pi and that's it) then wire buttons and joysticks to the Pi Pico's pads just like what you're doing with your DC controller PCB. It has 8 VMU's built in, rumble and other features. Very simple.

Portables
Too many
Could be worth a try. Tho, it looks like it's way too big to fit in the space I have available :(

Personally, I feel like using this is cheating...I prefer to keep things as original as possible.

That all being said, I did get the controller working (data lines were backwards). It's wonkey as all heck and I wired the analog stick backwards...but it is "working" lol.

Also smoked the audio amp...cause I do that..a lot.

Portables
Too many
Minor update...no fancy episoding for the moment....just being frustrated with the controller...I redid the analog to be in the right orientation (up is up, left is left, ect). Now I just have random buttons not working issues. At first Y and B didn't work...got Y working, then start quit working. Got start working, then Right on the dpad quit working...and B refuses to work anything more than at totally random. Annoying, but as always, not unexpected.

Portables
Too many

dream.png

EPISODE 13: Trials and Electrocutions...

1.jpg

8.png

6.jpg

7.jpg

Well, work on the guts is more or less finished!

Had alotta issues with the controller misbehaving and the audio amp cooking on me..but now it's all working! ...Mostly! Unfortunately, the audio pot was junk and I was unable to find a suitable replacement in my bins. No biggie tho, they're not expensive.

All that remains now is integrating a VMU, which should be easy enough as it will be sitting next to the battery pack, opposite of the big board.

So, with the electricals actually working, it's now time to move onto the messiest part of the operation...CASE CONSTRUCTION!

*old Dragon Ball Z announcer voice*
Will our hero get the case built in record time? Will he chop himself up horribly and gain a few new scars? Find out in our next exciting episode of DREAM XTREME!

Portables
Too many
1691433614660.png

Episode 14: Heavy Metal Thunder!

Back to work again! Time to build a custom heat sink!

Found an appropriate metal slab to make a heat sink from...it's part of the heat panel from an old power amplifier (yay recycled junk!)
4.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

It's not super big, but from what I can figure, this should be more than enough to keep it cool. Especially with this little fan I got here...

2.jpg

...It's tiny, but it moves a surprising amount of air!

That'll do it for today's episode! Tune in for our next exciting episode as we finally begin the case construction!

Portables
Too many
1691608428342.png

EPISODE 15: A Case to make a case

Yeeeeee progress!

So now we're onto the case construciton...y'all saw a bit of a hint as to what my design is earlier...so now it's time to make it physical!

Good thing I have plenty-o-styrene hanging about. I can make it wrong a dozen times and still have material leftover :)
1.jpg

Cut down to size..wall positions marked...ready for last bits of cutting...

2.jpg

Cuts done! Now time to make the walls. The case won't be nearly as thick as those walls currently look. I cut them well oversize so what when I get the guts installed, I can cut them to perfection!

3.jpg

Last on today's list is getting the button holes dealt with!

4.jpg

First some starter holes........
5.jpg

...aaaand BOOM!

Button holes are all good to go!

6.jpg

Case front is...getting there! Still have to drill the holes for the speakers and of course get the space for the screen knocked out.

And so our hero continues his plight against the forces of plastics! Will the buttons come out good? Will the case decide it wants to take on another form? Find out in the next exciting episode of DREAM XTREME Z!

Portables
Too many
1692040451395.png

EPISODE 16: Battle of the Buttons!

Can't work a controller without buttons, so let's cook some up!

Decided to use the buttons from the gutted controller. However, the D-pad in it was far too large. Fortunately, I have plenty of gamecube dpads that are the right size!
1.jpg

Obviously, the original buttons are far too tall for my case, so much chopping was needed.
2.jpg

After much chopping and sanding...the buttons are now all down to the proper height!
4.jpg

It may not be noticeable in the pics, the buttons are all sunfaded. While most of the buttons were fine, the b-button being very bad (it was more green than blue!). Had to break out a can of paint on that before doing anything else with it...
5.jpg

Since there was time, did one final tidbit..making the screw posts for the controller mount!
6.jpg

That'll do it for today!

Join us next time for the next exciting adventure where we'll probably get the screen hole cut and buttons attached!

Portables
Too many
1692208994669.png

EPISODE 17: Hands-on Action!

Next phase...let's make some holes for the speakers!

With the help of my mini milling table...
0.jpg

...we get some very nice looking holes!
1.jpg

Next up is the screen hole! Time to get more hands on!
2.jpg

Not bad considering the tool was just as big as Hello Kitty, herself! ^_^
3.jpg

Last on today's list will be getting the buttons finalized and attaching them screw posts!
4.jpg

Spaces marked....
5.jpg

*Star Trek computer voice* CLAMPING CLAMPING
6.jpg

Looks like everything fits nicely! :D
7.jpg

OOOH yes it's getting closer! Might actually finish this beasty on time! I do believe the walls will next on the list. Now, I take my leave once again!

*WOOOSH!*

Portables
Too many
1692642079457.png

EPISODE 18: Sleep is a crutch!

Oh yes the race is on and we are making maximum progress!

first thing on the list....making some structural posts!
1.jpg

Much gluing and clamping...
3.jpg

then more gluing and clamping...
4.jpg

With the structural posts created, i can now move onto the walls!

5.jpg

After much chopping...I can do a test fit to see if it all fits in...which it does!
7.jpg

Oh, but we won't stop there! no no no! Now it's time to make more holes!
First up are the air inlet holes on the sides...
10.jpg

Then we can get to the holes for the cooling fan and the volume pot.
11.jpg

Speaking of volume pot, my new pots arrived in the mail, so that's finally attached now :)
8.jpg

aaand after all of that...we can finally get a first glimpse into what the overall shape and size is going to be!
12.jpg

All right, we're getting there! Soon I shall unveil my secret master plan for the DD....and it's gonna be shiny!

That's for today, folks! So much more cutting and gluing to do, so little time...

Can our hero catch a shiny Pokemon Disk Drive device? Find out in the next exciting episode of Dream Xtreme!

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Your commitment to the format and theme is commendable. I love it.

Can't wait till the next episode!

Portables
Too many
1692901569488.png

EPISODE 19: The case of the CD Jewel

OK, so the next phase is happening!

One big issue I've had with disk based formats in the past is how to keep the whirling disk from chopping up people's hands...

The height and width of this thing is roughly the same as a CD Jewel case...and then it hit me! Use the case to make a lid and base for the DD!

As fate would have it, I just so happen to have a box that is loaded with around a hundred or so empty CD jewel cases!
...empty because some a**hole stole the disks many many years ago >_<

Bonus points to the first person who can name what album this is ^_^
1.jpg

So how do we do it? It's easy as...

1!
2.jpg

2!
3.jpg

3!
4.jpg

Well, sort of. I did totally biff this particular set somewhat, and had to redo it a whopping 3 more times before getting it right LOL.

BUT! I got it right eventually! Good thing I have so many to use!
5.jpg

Just look at that smexy fit!
6.jpg

Last thing for today...mounting posts!
7.jpg

I considered doing the posts with clear acrylic...but eff that god-awful material! Gonna stick with my good friend; polystyrene...just gonna paint it black to match the DD :)
8.jpg

That'll do 'er for today peeps!

Will our hero continue to meet with success? Or will disaster sneak its way into the room? Find out in our next action-packed episode of Dream Xtreme!

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Oh my goodness using a transparent cd case as the shell to house the actual cd drive is freaking brilliant. Such an aesthetic way to show off the spinning disc.

The album is Destroyer by KISS

Viilmo

Portables
Not only is it clever, it's the most beautiful disc setup I've ever seen.
Also we should make sure Shank doesn't see this, I don't think he will like it

Portables
Too many
1693248437947.png

EPISODE 20: METAL ON PLASTIC

We're almost out of August and the countdown continues!

First off, some gluing action!
1.jpg

Glue solidified...the DD is pretty well attached methinks :)
5.jpg

Now onto the next hurdle...figuring out how to actuate the L & R buttons.

After some pondering, I came up with a plan! And that plan requires some metals....this chunk of an old printer should do the job!
2.jpg

Did some chopping and a good slab of metal has been created for the task...
3.jpg

Aaaand here's the idea...small and simple.
4.jpg

...and with a little groove carving...
6.jpg

...We get a very nice little gap for the bar to poke through!
7.jpg

I was planning on putting some button caps on these...but these little tabs seems pretty effective so far...
8.jpg

Will our hero make some button caps? Will he glue his fingers together? Find out in our next exciting episode of Dream Xtreme!

Portables
Too many
1693508224328.png

EPISODE 21: A Switch, A Plug & A Dilemma

Boy howdy this episode is gonna be a dozy :)

First on the day's list...the POWAAAAAAAAAAAH Switch & Charge socket.
2.jpg

A fine, snug fit for all!
4.jpg

Next up was the dilemma...I wasn't sure about what I was going to do with the memory card. There is more than enough space for an integral memory card, but there is also enough space for a removable slot on top of it.

After much pondering, I came to a decision...

The convenience of an integral memory card cannot be understated, therefore I decided to keep that...
6.jpg

...but one cannot deny the usefulness of removable memory for data transfers when the onboard is filled.

Since the DC memory cards are monstrous, I decided that it'd be far too difficult to make such a big fat hole look good.

Therefore instead of a memory card slot, a 2nd player port was chosen to do the job! Just plug the 2nd card into the 2nd controller!

But then I had a moment of inspiration! The DC's controller sockets come in pairs...
5.jpg

...so why not go with ports for players 2 and 3?

7.jpg

And with a couple of spacers...
10.jpg

...The fit is solid!
8.jpg

As for the case portion; getting the holes to line up with the sockets' attach point requires alotta fine measurements.
9.jpg

But that's no problem for me!
12.jpg

I'd say the fit is good!
11.jpg

I'd add the 4th player port, but where would that person even sit? Players 2 and 3 can sit to the right and left of player 1. There's no way a 4th player could get a decent view of the screen without looking over everyone's shoulders. So no, I don't think it's feasible lol.

And that brings us to the end of this episode, and the end of August!

In our next episode; the final countdown begins! Will our hero finish it in time? Will he set fire to this projekt out of sheer rage in the final moments? Found as we begin final episodes of Dream Xtreme!

Portables
Too many
1693885103558.png

EPISODE 22: The Beginning of the End?

The case work continues, and now it's time to commence to some aesthetics before it gets too hard to attach them!

Let's begin the first phase of case front dank-ness!
1.jpg

It took more than a few tries, but eventually, got some seriously nice circles going :)
8.jpg

Got that screen hole puuuuuurfect! Even got it some nice angled edges
3.jpg

Now for that outer ring portion...
2.jpg

...and lastly the tiny middle thingy...

4.jpg

Time to get sticky!
5.jpg

After much glue...and some drilling...and filing....we get this beasty beast!

Oh yeah, the smexy is real *puts on cool sunglasses*
7.jpg

That probably took way too long lol. The circle cutting was the rough part. I destroyed more than a few sheets of styrene in search of perfection lol.

With the aesthetic front part done, I do believe it's time to get the sidewalls assembled...

Will the glue hold up? Will the walls be like Berlin '89? Find out in the next exciting episode of Dream Xtreme!