Worklog [2023 Contest Entry] UltraLite

Wasn't planning on entering until I stumbled across something (which you will find out later) that gave me the idea and motivation for this project to enter. I plan on having all the bells and whistles that one would expect in 2023.

Just started this yesterday, not much to show yet but more updates soon!
IMG_1291.jpg

Motherboard Flex.jpg

This is the simplest of the custom boards that I wanted to knock out first. It will be a flex that simplifies the internals for cleaner/less wiring and connecting the two halves of the portable together via one FFC cable. It is just a simple NAND and U10 relocation flex as well as taps into the Wii's digital video/audio signals to route to the driver board on the top half of the portable. I'm not too sure how well the Wii digital signals will do on this flex and hope to not have issues with signal integrity since the top and bottom portion has trace matching that overlap due to the tight space. Probably would be fine on a rigid PCB board, but worst case I can just reroute the signals to overlap as little as possible. Updated the flex to have traces overlap as little as possible without trace matching, which will be done on the driver board itself instead of this flex due to limited space. Also added the appropriate untented vias for soldering to the motherboard. Up next, the custom driver board!

Fun fact: Pin 6 and 10 of the NAND are routed on the original Wii board to the GPU but actually do not do anything and have no connection internally on the NAND chip! So I left them out. Possibly due to Nintendo wanting to use different NAND chips with different pinouts but chose not to in the end.

Last edited:
There's a lot going on with this board. This might be a compact portable, but there will be no compromises!

This board includes:

- RTD2660 LCD Driver
- gcvideo FPGA
- i2s audio amp
- bluetooth audio transmitter
- GC+ 2.0 button combo circuitry for controlling OSD and Backlight
- Integrated MicroSD card (accessible via USB-C port)
- FFC connectors for simple assembly/disassembly between the 2 halves of the portable and controller boards

Screenshot (44).png

Screenshot (45).png

Still need to add some ground vias here and there and debating whether or not to add a connector for the speakers or just pads to solder to...

This is going to be a killer! Have you tested if the GC+2.0 works with GCVideo? It didn’t in my case but maybe I did something wrong.

Thank you, and I know we spoke of it a while ago and I never got around to testing it but I definitely will once I make an order of these boards. I'm not set on it needing to work but would be a bonus if it did!

In any case I’m digging the use of HDMI, FFC connectors and integrated microSD reader! The internals will be so tight!
Have you thought about adding HDMI out with a little HDMI switch? Might be a lot of work to implement it through USB-C though but an awesome feature for sure.

Appreciate it! It's a cool feature, but my focus for this project is to purely be a handheld experience. I'd just emulate if I wanted to play it on the TV to be honest for that crispy 4K!

I started working on the PMS board but decided to run some tests on the Wii first.
This project will be the first portable to feature a Wii Mini via an OMEGA trim to take advantage of the Hollywood-2 GPU.

For those of you who don’t know, certain revisions of the Wii Mini feature a newer die shrunk GPU (compared to the regular 4 layer Wii) called “Hollywood-2”. I go over further details in my other thread here: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/project-m.5113/post-54897

Shank did some testing a while back to see the lowest voltages the Wii can go. According to the numbers Shank has reported, we can theoretically undervolt, but doesn’t seem like anybody has ever done it in a portable nor reported some concrete numbers of power consumption. I want to add to this so we have some documentation.

Keep in mind the testing has been done on a Wii Mini with 1 Wii remote connected on the Wii menu screen. The values of a regular 4 layer Wii will be different. I may be able to go lower, but probably won’t go much lower for piece of mind.

The Wii Mini draws about 4.124W (on the Wii menu screen) with custom regs and standard voltages (1V, 1.15V, 1.8V, 3.3V).
I need 3.3V for most things in the portable as well as 1.8V so I won't be messing with those.

I started with the 1.15V line which normally draws 1.62A (1.863W) and took it down to 1V (under load) which now draws 1.36A (1.36W).
According to Shanks notes, we can go down to 0.916V. Will test that later.

The 1V line normally draws 1.16A (1.16W) and took that down to 0.875V (under load) which now draws 1A (0.875W).
According to Shanks notes, we can go down to 0.867V. I'm going to leave this one as is since it is already close to the lowest it can go.

By undervolting these 2 voltage lines, I am saving an additional 0.788W, for a grand total of the Wii Mini drawing only 3.336W!!!

I will still try to undervolt the CPU more and see what happens which I will update later. I haven't grabbed the numbers in game since my multimeter is acting up now, but shouldn't be too far off. Have been running Melee with 4 CPUs on the hardest difficulty for 2 hours now, no issues. I can confirm the undervolt at these voltages at least for the Wii Mini.

EDIT: I was able to get the total power consumption to just 3W, but the system was unstable, and would not last a few minutes without crashing. The GPU did boot at 0.8V under load but I didn’t try going any further since there’s no point for stability reasons and same with the CPU, which the lowest was able to boot was 0.97V. So far the best combo I have found was my first initial test of the GPU at 0.875V and the CPU at 1V. I did a pretty crazy stress test and left Melee on overnight with four CPUs at max difficulty, and a few hours in it did crash. But let’s be honest, with portables that’s unrealistic. Just in case I will increase the GPU to 0.9V. Regardless, a great saving in power!

Last edited:
Awesome!! You’re pushing all boundaries here! Wii mini + undervolting + FFCs + custom RTD2660 board, is there a limit to how much meme you can put in your meme?