Worklog 8” 4:3 N64 build

Portables
Figure I’ll make a start to my build log. I’ve always liked the partybox from Wess so this is inspired from that style of a portable.

Ideally I wanna have quality video out, 4:3 aspect ratio, and potential 4 player capability but I got no one to play with so it’ll just be me haha.

So far it’s as follows:

- 8”4:3 ips 1024*768, it’s an rtd board so I have composite, vga, and hdmi capabilities

- multiple versions of the n64 board old revisions to new so I can do the ram swap and mini jumper mod

- n64 amp from Gman so digital audio ftw

- I have a n64 advanced so vga is doable

- power is up in the air, I can use pms2 + pd board so thanks to 4layertech for that, the other option is buck converters and a pd trigger board for 12v and do a battery bank or wall plug in setup

For now I’m content with case design and have a mini mock-up

Attachments

Portables
Progress: LCD top portion should be done now, easiest piece since i'm reusing one from a previous project but toss the idea of keeping the cartridge slot and the portable grows in size a hurry

Attachments

Portables
Well might as well update some cad stuff, tossing around the idea of the cartridge vs embed an ed64

Attachments

Portables
I'll always side with the real deal, otherwise it just feels like an emulator. I vote cartridge because you can always insert an everdrive lol

Portables
Well I suppose I can go ahead with a cartridge slot now, I have something that actually test printed ok and is pretty solid. Took a few tries but it’s there

Attachments