Question Anyone tried this for wii portable before?

Boddah

IMG_9789.jpeg
IMG_9790.jpeg

This is third party gamecube style joycon
It might be very useful for wii portable parts.
It’s a little bit outdated product but I believe
I can still find one somewhere

especially buttons and joystick is looks perfect for the project
I wonder Does anyone tried this before

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I can't say I know of anyone who has used these, but now that I know they exist, I think I might grab a set to use myself. It'd be very easy to wire these up to work with a GC+. You just might have to remove some of the existing components on the PCB to prevent the joycons from powering on.

Boddah

I can't say I know of anyone who has used these, but now that I know they exist, I think I might grab a set to use myself. It'd be very easy to wire these up to work with a GC+. You just might have to remove some of the existing components on the PCB to prevent the joycons from powering on.
If we can get this, we can design more thin and small

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah. For use in a Wii portable basically everything except the pads for the buttons and the ribbon connectors for the sticks aren't needed. The essential parts are just the top layer of the shell and the PCB itself. The battery, rumble motor, and the bottom half of the case can be yeeted.

I'll have to see if I can find somewhere to buy a set for a reasonable price. If I can, I'll probe it and make a pinout diagram for it.

Boddah

Yeah. For use in a Wii portable basically everything except the pads for the buttons and the ribbon connectors for the sticks aren't needed. The essential parts are just the top layer of the shell and the PCB itself. The battery, rumble motor, and the bottom half of the case can be yeeted.

I'll have to see if I can find somewhere to buy a set for a reasonable price. If I can, I'll probe it and make a pinout diagram for it.
that's gonna be awesome

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Emphasis on the "if I can find a set for a reasonable price". I ain't paying $100 Australian Dollarydoos for them lel

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I've got a set of those. The quality is very "generic third party accessory", but if you just want something GameCubeish then they do the job.

Boddah

Emphasis on the "if I can find a set for a reasonable price". I ain't paying $100 Australian Dollarydoos for them lel
I don’t think those are not that much pricey.
But who knows it might be discontinued and added extra price tag

Boddah

I've got a set of those. The quality is very "generic third party accessory", but if you just want something GameCubeish then they do the job.
Might be not good for joycon but i can use buttons, joystick for my project. Seems more spending money for just button and joystick module(or just cap) but it’s only alternative industrial quality gamecube style button, joystick.
And there’s another design option that can my portable wii even more thin and smaller

Just use a Nintendo Switch, One-Piece Joypad Controller. That’s what I used to make my portable Wii. There’s a unit on Amazon that looks like GameCube controller.

The Retroflag-Controller-Compatible-Nintendo-Switch-One

Check out my screenshots

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Just use a Nintendo Switch, One-Piece Joypad Controller. That’s what I used to make my portable Wii. There’s a unit on Amazon that looks like GameCube controller.

The Retroflag-Controller-Compatible-Nintendo-Switch-One

Check out my screenshots
The dock controller thingy you're talking about uses full sized analog sticks and the Switch button layout. We're interested in the other one because it has the Gamecube shaped buttons and uses compact joycon sticks, which makes it suitable for small form factor builds