Question Artefacts Wii

Hi all,

I have an old Wii which has some video artefacts when playing certain games. My question is could this be fixed, or just wit for it to die?

Thanks

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Hi all,

I have an old Wii which has some video artefacts when playing certain games. My question is could this be fixed, or just wit for it to die?

Thanks
Gonna need pics here, video artifacts can mean a lot of different things, and a pic of the screen/internals will allow us to confirm whether its a GPU fault or something else. Please send some pics or a video of the artifacting you're seeing. A clear pic of the front and back of the motherboard would also be great.

Gonna need pics here, video artifacts can mean a lot of different things, and a pic of the screen/internals will allow us to confirm whether its a GPU fault or something else. Please send some pics or a video of the artifacting you're seeing. A clear pic of the front and back of the motherboard would also be great.
Hi,

Here are a few videos.

Please tell me if it is necessary to strip the motherboard if only the videos will not give any clues.

Thanks.

This is a known issue with 6 layer Wii's. As far as we know there is no fix.
Yeah, all I could find online leads to this. Not much on forums and info pages though. Most were replaced by Nintendo when this occured. Just hoping there is an option to fix. Hard to get a 4 layer Wii.
Edit: not that hard if colored once are 4 layered. Just read through the forums.

Last edited:

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Yeah, all I could find online leads to this. Not much on forums and info pages though. Most were replaced by Nintendo when this occured. Just hoping there is an option to fix. Hard to get a 4 layer Wii.
Edit: not that hard if colored once are 4 layered. Just read through the forums.
For what its worth this doesn't necessarily always happen to 6 layers, just a thing that can happen. I have a 6 layer Wii that I've had since launch and its still chugging along and working great, just depends.

Also, yes, all colored Wii's are 4 layer boards, if you're getting one to use as a regular Wii, you'd probably want one with GameCube ports, as while you can restore that functionality on all Wiis, will require a shell swap, and that might not be very worth doing depending on your priorities.

For what its worth this doesn't necessarily always happen to 6 layers, just a thing that can happen. I have a 6 layer Wii that I've had since launch and its still chugging along and working great, just depends.

Also, yes, all colored Wii's are 4 layer boards, if you're getting one to use as a regular Wii, you'd probably want one with GameCube ports, as while you can restore that functionality on all Wiis, will require a shell swap, and that might not be very worth doing depending on your priorities.
True, should not assume that all 6 layered can go bad. When I got my Wii, I was looking for gamecube functionality. Thanks

Reactions: Y2K