Question Bluetooth relocation soldering?

I've been trying to relocate bluetooth before I trim the board, but the solder doesn't seem to stick to the board. I was able to solder the wire onto the pad on the bluetooth module, but whenever I try to solder the wire to the data trace, it doesn't budge. Any tips? Thanks.

in my experience, if you think you're using too much flux to solder to a trace, you're not using enough. high heat on the iron, smallest tip you got, pre-tin the wire and the trace. prep the trace with a scalpel or hobby knife(i find an xacto blade #2 to work pretty good), then a fiberglass scratch pen(always crash and burn if i forget this step), big ol glob of flux. and JUST long enough to heat the solder, but not long enough to lift the trace. hard to describe, harder to learn, but oh so satisfying once you get it. in my now ancient ps2 portable worklog(really should get back on that thing), i believe i have pictures of the usb soldering, pretty similar to the bluetooth relocation.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I've been trying to relocate bluetooth before I trim the board, but the solder doesn't seem to stick to the board. I was able to solder the wire onto the pad on the bluetooth module, but whenever I try to solder the wire to the data trace, it doesn't budge. Any tips? Thanks.
The pads on the BT module are exposed for easy access, whereas the BT data traces on the Wii board are covered in solder mask to protect them. To solder to the traces. you'll need to use a sharp knife to carefully scrape the solder mask off in order to expose the copper. Be slow and gentle as you do this, you don't want to destroy the trace. I recommend exposing one trace, then moving 5-10mm along and exposing the other trace. Having the exposed sections too close together can make soldering the wires difficult.

Also I second what Crimson said, get a fibreglass pencil if you can to go over the exposed trace. It will basically perform a very fine sanding job, pick up any remaining flecks of soldermask, and prepare the copper.