Can/How can I modify a laptop screen to display output from HDMI/AV/anything?

I have an old ASUS ROG G551V Laptop and I am wondering if it would be possible to somehow make it display output from some hdmi, AV etc output or something else. I want to modify a console to output to it but I am unsure about how I could do this or if it is even possible. Maybe there is another laptop that it's possible to do this with? If there is please let me know.

If anyone wants images of the inside of the laptop I can do that next week

Shank

Staff member
Portables
The short answer:
No

The long answer:
This is a common question, but it falls into the unfortunate category of "if you have to ask, the answer is probably no"
To do so you would need a board that is designed and programmed to drive that very specific model of screen, as well as accepts standard AV signals, such as Composite, HDMI, or VGA. These exist for some extremely abundant screens, such as iPads, but not for the vast majority of screens.

One could make a custom drive board using an FPGA, but the skill prerequisites make it not an option for all but a very select few in our community. Even so, making this would cost substantially more than it would cost to buy a different but similar screen that comes with a compatible driver board.

Heuic

It is possible to do it, but like shank said you'll need a display driver board. So what you can do is open up your laptop look for a sticker in the back of the display that should have the displays serial number and then just Google " (your displays serial number) driver board" and there might be some on ebay. But it's probably more worth it to just buy a new display.

Ah alright thank you. I'll see if theres any driver boards. Otherwise any good screens you recommend for this?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Ah alright thank you. I'll see if theres any driver boards. Otherwise any good screens you recommend for this?
If you are building a portable Wii, I recommend the 5" IPS widescreen from 4Layer Tech.
If you are looking for a screen try searching "480p TFT VGA" on ebay. That will give you some results of some various screens out there.