Question DS Connectivity?

Ryuza

So I'm looking into building an Ashida, and I've been doing a bunch of research and can't seem to find any mention of DS connectivity with Wii portables. I've seen it mentioned that it may be a weird use of the Wii's WiFi module before, but I don't know how accurate that is. Looking at labelled versions of the board I don't see any other unlabeled components that seem like they would handle it though.

So does anyone know what component actually handles connectivity with DS games on a Wii? I'm curious whether it's something that is already supported in some Wii portables but just hasn't come up because it's not used a lot, or if it's just not been researched at all and involves some other relocation that hasn't been looked into.

For reference, and if anyone wants to test anything, some common games with DS support are:

Wii GameDS GameFeature
Animal Crossing: City FolkAnimal Crossing: Wild WorldCharacters can be transferred from the DS game.
Geometry Wars: GalaxiesGeometry Wars: GalaxiesUnlocks an extra galaxy in both games.
My Pokémon Ranch / Pokémon Battle RevolutionPokemon Diamond / PearlPokémon can be transferred from the DS games.
Castlevania JudgmentCastlevania: Order of EcclesiaUnlocks characters on the Wii, and increases the level cap on DS.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Afaik it uses the wifi module for DS communication

Ryuza

I'm hoping that's the case, not a lot of games support it but it would be really nice to have.

I'd love to have a controller port as well to connect a GBA for GameCube games, but I haven't been able to find a lot of information on how to split off and relocate a single controller port.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The simple method would be to just cut one of the ports off of the bar assembly

Ryuza

I hadn't been sure if I might have any software issues if I just did a single port, like it expecting the others or something. And whether I'd have to specifically wire it up as the second port to avoid any conflict with the built in controls.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The system can't tell whether a port is wired unless a controller is plugged in. You can wire in the one port, or several. It's up to your use case. As for the control switching, only controller port 1 will work for single player games and for GC2Wiimote bluetooth emulation. You can use a multiplexer to switch the data lines or a simple physical toggle switch to select whether the inbuilt GC+ or external port should be active.