Fan Not Turning On (Step 7)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Look closely at R4 on the usbc board, is that a solder ball?

The light sequence doesnt mean anything, probably just the PMS switching between charging and fully charged if the battery is near its completion.

The usbc board should connect the drive to the computer with all the wires disconnected. If it doesnt work in this way, then something could be wrong with it. Could be damaged component or soldering. Could you try this? If it fails, then I can send you another to try. I have a test fixture for the usbc boards that tests the usb multiplexer, the sda scl, and the charge voltage so at one point it was functioning that is for sure.

Thanks gman, I have no doubt you tested it. I followed the guide exactly and the only wires that were reversed were identified and fixed before batteries were anywhere near the unit. The board looks brand new on my end. On R4, that was just the white paint as seen in the photo attached.

I desoldered everything and the sd card still doesnt show up...here are some pictures.
69FA7739-24D4-4CC1-A3F5-AEB1B527F6C1.jpeg
1D3D76D3-790D-4D02-83DF-71110400FFFF.jpeg
E3CB0D35-E41E-4903-9D36-1A7D4FD3753B.jpeg

0195D0EF-9D12-4461-B0D6-89BE83F0F8EC.jpeg

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
does the usb adapter + micro sd show up if you plug it directly into your computer?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Ok, I dont spot anything with the board it looks clean to me. Let me think, I'll message you with a solution and/or further testing.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Here's a thought - is it possible there is a firmware incompatibility? Here's what we know:

- The i2c connection causes the RVL-PMS to not power on
- There are no shorts on either board
- i2c works on the PMS
- The USBC board (seems to) work

I'm beginning to suspect that the i2c communication is causing the firmware to hang. Could it be the STUSB ID that we talked about previously @Gman ?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Here's a thought - is it possible there is a firmware incompatibility? Here's what we know:

- The i2c connection causes the RVL-PMS to not power on
- There are no shorts on either board
- i2c works on the PMS
- The USBC board (seems to) work

I'm beginning to suspect that the i2c communication is causing the firmware to hang. Could it be the STUSB ID that we talked about previously @Gman ?
I test them on my test fixture which is same updated stusb driver as the rvlpms. The stusb would not be communicated with if the charger is not plugged in.