Worklog First Wii Portable: the WiiBoy Color originally made by GingerofOz

so, you guys are amazing portablizing my childhood consoles and all that but ive grew to be so invested that I decided to build one myself. Yes before anyone asks i know this particular one (The WiiBoy color) is not a very easy beginers project, but i like the form factor and the way its vertical instead of sideways. So I have some of the parts i need and heres a list:
a dremel
batterys
4 layer Wii
a soldering iron
and a 3d printer.
I need PCBs but I have no Idea where to buy them from e.g. I know most the parts I need are from 4 layer tech but I need a screen to fit the case and I need a certain pms board but I would like to go the old fasion way using PTH08080 Regs and the switch to charge and play. it either that or try to find a cheap Wii PMS. ive done my research and Ive done many emulation and hardware tweaking hacks so this wouldnt be the first.

p.s. sorry for bad spelling im 15

i know i need to use some pcb boards from PCB way i just dont know where to get the files for em

Zini

Portables
some day
Unfortunately GingerofOz hasn't made the WiiBoy Color open source, so the files you need aren't available anywhere. I would recommend something like the Ashida or G-Wii, those are open source and are easier for beginners.

Unfortunately GingerofOz hasn't made the WiiBoy Color open source, so the files you need aren't available anywhere. I would recommend something like the Ashida or G-Wii, those are open source and are easier for beginners.
Thanks for the reccomendations I might make a g wii. Actually you know what, I will just make a g wii

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The G-Wii is a good choice for a first build. It was designed to be simple and forgiving to assemble. Just make sure that you get the right kind of 5 inch screen for yours. There are two kinds of 5 inch screens, a 16:9 ratio (rectangular like a modern TV) and a 4:3 ratio (more square, like an old CRT TV). There's a version of the G-Wii shell to suit each of them, but 4layertech only sell the 16:9 screen type. If you want to use the 4:3 screen (which in my opinion is the superior experience for the Wii's 480p native video output), you'll have to source the screen from AliExpress or Ebay.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Would you happen to have a link to any example ones? Would love to try a 4:3 screen for my own project.
There are a few versions of the 4:3 panel and driver board. AFAIK this one with the small blue board is the best https://www.aliexpress.com/item/465794691.html, and this one with the large blue board is second best https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33015857230.html.

They cost a fair bit, but they are the best screens for Wii/Gamecube/PS2/PS1 portables. In part because they're one of very few product lines that support interlaced VGA natively