GameCube Controller Question

Nick

Does the signal/data pin running off the GameCube controller need to be shielded or will a non shielded wire work fine?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Moved (as it pertains to GameCube specifically), @Aurelio would probably know, he's done some work with GameCube controllers.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The Gamecube controller data signal is pulled up with a quite low resistor (around 700 ohms) so it's quite strong and electromagnetic noise shouldn't be able to change it's status.
So no, you don't need it.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
If you removed the resistor and didn't use shielded wire, what would noise affecting the signal look like? Dropped inputs, erratic joysticks, etc?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
If you removed the resistor and didn't use shielded wire, what would noise affecting the signal look like? Dropped inputs, erratic joysticks, etc?
You can't remove the pull-up resistors for the controller data line. It's an open-collector protocol (just like the i2c) so the two systems (i.e. the gamecube/wii and the controller itself) can only pull down the data line and to set it high they just "leave it" as it is and let the pull-up resistor do its job.
The resistor is not there to protect from noise, it's there because it is needed for the communication to work properly