Question Gamecube Error list

Portables
Too many
So I'm at the end of my rope with the Cube-Boy once again....I've done everything that I can think of, but I continue to get the error message upon bootup that says to turn it off and check the manual.

So let's get a list here of all the things that could possibly cause this error. I'm missing something...but what?
IMG_20230502_131711082.jpg

So I'm at the end of my rope with the Cube-Boy once again....I've done everything that I can think of, but I continue to get the error message upon bootup that says to turn it off and check the manual.

So let's get a list here of all the things that could possibly cause this error. I'm missing something...but what?
View attachment 27472
I've had Gamecubes do this before.... Its usually something to do with the system freaking out over the replacement of the disc drive with something else. I installed the Pico Boot modchips into a few GC's and actually got this same message upon startup. It was usually due to me wiring in the Pico Boot incorrectly. I also had a GC that just refused to accept that the Pico Boot was its new loader and constantly gave me this error. I resolved it by using thicker wire for the power source lines from the Chip to the board. I'm not sure what you are using as a loader for this portable as I haven't seen the rest of the build, but that error is usually caused on stock consoles by a disc that can sort of be read but then can't and freaks out the GC.

Portables
Too many
Aaaaah....that could be it! I'm actually using the original disk drive, and that makes alotta sense! I redid all the wiring with the rebuild and I might have used to small a wire for it. Gonna have to change that up!

Aaaaah....that could be it! I'm actually using the original disk drive, and that makes alotta sense! I redid all the wiring with the rebuild and I might have used to small a wire for it. Gonna have to change that up!
Ahh didn't know you were using a stock DD. If that is the case the laser could actually be failing as well... You can try and tweak the potentiometer for the laser and see if it fixes your issue but that error is usually a sign that its time to replace the drive.

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Worst case scenario would be to install Picoboot, as this will "bypass" the GC IPL either way and should get you around this error from my understanding. If you can't ever get the disc drive working again, this would at least let you use the thing until you decide to replace it!

Portables
Too many
Well...finally got around to rewiring it with some heavier wires for the DD...and nope, still hasn't fixed it. Curses...about ready to take it out to the range and introduce it to my friend Mr. 5.56 lol.

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Well...finally got around to rewiring it with some heavier wires for the DD...and nope, still hasn't fixed it. Curses...about ready to take it out to the range and introduce it to my friend Mr. 5.56 lol.
I need a video of that if you do end up doing that! :XD:

Maybe try throwing Picoboot in there and see if you get anywhere, can't hurt.

I agree with Y2K a picoboot would be your best bet the GC lasers are reaching the 20yo mark. If you really want it to run from the disc drive your best bet would be to pull one from a known working gamecube. Also if you can throw up some pictures I'd love to see this build even if it is giving you a hassle.

Portables
Too many
IMG_20211014_024636352.jpg
IMG_20210927_145823859.jpg

Ye olde cube-boy...it did work once upon a time. Now it just does its best to anger me...if only I didn't open it up to change the battery that one day... >_<

I did change the laser out with one that I know works, so I'm still at a loss as to what it's issue is.

View attachment 27525View attachment 27526
Ye olde cube-boy...it did work once upon a time. Now it just does its best to anger me...if only I didn't open it up to change the battery that one day... >_<

I did change the laser out with one that I know works, so I'm still at a loss as to what it's issue is.
This is awesome please don't destroy it! Even if it doesn't work it's still one hell of a build. I see the disc drive in incorporated very nice into the design so removing it would be a bit of a loss. I'm wondering if maybe there si a controller that has gone bad? Did you swap out the pcb that lies directly under the disc drive as well? Just trying to help you save this build!

Edit: by controller I mean a chip that controls the laser between the motherboard and the laser

Portables
Too many
Everything in it is original hardware.

I have swapped the DD daughterboard once before. Maybe it died again? It only errors when trying to boot a disk...