Solved GC+ freezing problem

GC64

Portables
So I just recieved my GC+ in the mail, and I immediately went to wire it up to see it in action. Everything seemed to be going well, so I installed the config app to update it to 1.1 and to calibrate my slider ranges. When I clicked exit, it loaded to the portablizemii homescreen but gets stuck on the loading part (where it would usually be loading the apps to display on the home screen, it freezes there). Now every time I turn the console on, it gets stuck on the loading part unless the GC+ isn't connected. I can literally remove the data line while it is frozen and it instantly loads. Any known reason for this issue?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hmm this is new. Have you tried holding X+Y+Z and then turning your Wii on?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
When you say "stuck on loading" do you mean that the little circle spins in the bottom corner but nothing shows up? I believe this can be caused when no C-stick is wired up, but I assume it's wired up seeing as you calibrated it.

It's possible that calibrating the sticks messed with how the GC+ reads input from the C-stick. It happened to my control stick one time, and it caused the cursor to always drop down and left. If your C-stick is doing the same thing, then it could be constantly trying to reload whatever C-stick down does in Postloader, thus causing nothing to ever load.

This is just an educated guess based on what I've seen in the past, but I could be totally wrong.

GC64

Portables
The button combos weren't doing anything, and what @GingerOfOz described sounded like the issue I was having, so I triple checked my C stick wiring to make sure. It still froze.. luckily I have a spare GC+, so I decided to try that out; it works perfect, but I'm afraid to update or calibrate the sliders now :/
Honestly I have no idea what the issue is.. I was sure it was the C stick from what ginger described.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The button combos weren't doing anything, and what @GingerOfOz described sounded like the issue I was having, so I triple checked my C stick wiring to make sure. It still froze.. luckily I have a spare GC+, so I decided to try that out; it works perfect, but I'm afraid to update or calibrate the sliders now :/
Honestly I have no idea what the issue is.. I was sure it was the C stick from what ginger described.
Hang on. Try this new controller config with the old GC+. If you want to avoid postloader at all, you can boot this from priiloader (since it doesn't use the sticks at all). Repeat the calibration procedure and you should be fine.

Attachments

GC64

Portables
Before you replied I actually ended up calibrating and updating the new GC+ anyway (i live life on the edge) and it still works fine. I also forgot to mention that I didn't calibrate the C stick on the first GC+ when I did calibration, only the main stick, which means I left both of its coordinates on 0. Could that have caused the it to not recognize the C stick?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Before you replied I actually ended up calibrating and updating the new GC+ anyway (i live life on the edge) and it still works fine. I also forgot to mention that I didn't calibrate the C stick on the first GC+ when I did calibration, only the main stick, which means I left both of its coordinates on 0. Could that have caused the it to not recognize the C stick?
Yes, definitely. By doung that it set a null range on the stick

GC64

Portables
Yes, definitely. By doung that it set a null range on the stick
Oh! I had thought I could just go back and set the range later as long as I have the main stick's range set. Well I guess that was a more important detail than I thought.. Thanks for the help!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Oh! I had thought I could just go back and set the range later as long as I have the main stick's range set. Well I guess that was a more important detail than I thought.. Thanks for the help!
Yeah I should actually put a check to avoid setting a 0 range. Anyway what's weird is that with X+Y+Z it didn't reset the ranges. You are not the first one who had this issue and I'm still trying to figure out what's causing it.

EDIT: Also, was the firmware on the board you bought 1.0 or 1.1? Is the board you have from the old batch (black) or one of the new ones (any other color)?

GC64

Portables
Yeah I should actually put a check to avoid setting a 0 range. Anyway what's weird is that with X+Y+Z it didn't reset the ranges. You are not the first one who had this issue and I'm still trying to figure out what's causing it.

EDIT: Also, was the firmware on the board you bought 1.0 or 1.1? Is the board you have from the old batch (black) or one of the new ones (any other color)?
Mine says 1.0 on it but is green

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Mine says 1.0 on it but is green
Oh boy, that is weird. The new batch should come with the 1.1 preinstalled. I'll check the matter with @Noah since he's the one assembling and flashing it right now.

GC64

Portables
Small update on this: I reopened the controller config just for testing and did the ranges again. The only thing I did differently is clicked "exit to launcher" after the ranges were saved. This is what I did with the first GC+. Sure enough, it got stuck on the infinite loading this time, just like with the first one. The only time it didn't get stuck was when I set and saved the ranges, and just rebooted the wii from there instead of clicking "exit to launcher." I managed to reset it though by doing X+Y+A, and from there I redid the ranges but did NOT click "exit to launcher."

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Small update on this: I reopened the controller config just for testing and did the ranges again. The only thing I did differently is clicked "exit to launcher" after the ranges were saved. This is what I did with the first GC+. Sure enough, it got stuck on the infinite loading this time, just like with the first one. The only time it didn't get stuck was when I set and saved the ranges, and just rebooted the wii from there instead of clicking "exit to launcher." I managed to reset it though by doing X+Y+A, and from there I redid the ranges but did NOT click "exit to launcher."
"exit to launcher" shouldn't affect the GC+. Have you tried the new configurator?

GC64

Portables
"exit to launcher" shouldn't affect the GC+. Have you tried the new configurator?
I'm using the configurator from the GC+ documentation page. It honestly sounds like the last thing that could affect the GC+, but I repeated the exact same process 4 times, 2 of which I clicked "exit to launcher." Those two times were the only times it did the infinite freeze

EDIT: also, the system seems to be clicking one of the shoulder buttons (keeps flipping pages on the homescreen by itself). I don't have L/R wired up right now because they're on the other half of my case, so would that be the reason for this?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I'm using the configurator from the GC+ documentation page. It honestly sounds like the last thing that could affect the GC+, but I repeated the exact same process 4 times, 2 of which I clicked "exit to launcher." Those two times were the only times it did the infinite freeze

EDIT: also, the system seems to be clicking one of the shoulder buttons (keeps flipping pages on the homescreen by itself). I don't have L/R wired up right now because they're on the other half of my case, so would that be the reason for this?
Hmm, I'll take a look at that.
Are you using buttons for the triggers? In that case the issue is caused by the fact that shoulder buttons are treated as analog inputs. This will be fixed in a future firmware update.

GC64

Portables
Hmm, I'll take a look at that.
Are you using buttons for the triggers? In that case the issue is caused by the fact that shoulder buttons are treated as analog inputs. This will be fixed in a future firmware update.
Yeah, I'm using the dual tact mod, but they're not wired to the GC+ yet. So will it randomly click the L/R just on the homescreen or also during games?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, I'm using the dual tact mod, but they're not wired to the GC+ yet. So will it randomly click the L/R just on the homescreen or also during games?
No. PostLoader uses a very small threshold for the analog trigger values to switch pages. In games this is not an issue.