Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi everyone! I've just set out on my Wii Miicro journey, and I think I may have gotten a little bit ahead of myself. I began trimming what I thought was a 6-Layer Wii for a Noldendo Miicro, but now I'm not too sure. Researching other Noldendo builds has made me realize that my motherboard is slightly different than all the builds I've seen before. I'll attach a photo of my board, pre and post trim. Have I made a terrible mistake? Is there any hope for me? I'd really appreciate a little guidance if possible. Thanks guys! :blush:
That's definitely a normal 6 layer board, you're good to follow the 6 layer trim guide. Nintendo cycled different components throughout the life of the console, so parts like inductors for example can be rounded, squared, or trapezoidal, but they're all functionally the same parts within the same revision.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Is there any restriction on posting my mod here? The system is a f1c100s based board similar to powkiddy v90 plus gba case + dualshock and switch parts.
There's no "restriction" so much as this is the wrong place for it. This thread is for asking questions about the forum and whatever else you may need help with. What you're looking for is the Handhelds section. You can make a new thread there as a worklog and post your photos and progress updates there. You can also ask questions and request help in your worklog, which will allow people to check through all the photos and updates to help narrow down solutions

There's no "restriction" so much as this is the wrong place for it. This thread is for asking questions about the forum and whatever else you may need help with. What you're looking for is the Handhelds section. You can make a new thread there as a worklog and post your photos and progress updates there. You can also ask questions and request help in your worklog, which will allow people to check through all the photos and updates to help narrow down solutions

Thanks for the clarification! I'm already loving this community.

Hello, I'm completely new to the modding scene and have hardly any experience. I would like to implement a project like "The G Wii", but I have no idea how and where to get all the components... I would be very happy to get some help. Thanks

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, since I’m new to BB, but how possible would a Dreamcast battery pack and screen attachment mod be? I have a rough sketch showing off what I mean, but I think this would be both easier and would provide more leeway for what I’d need for this. Mind you, I’m not proficient in modding but would like to have this be a decent starter to modding.
44290C9C-7144-48D6-8B3B-E9B6DD93D75E.png

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, since I’m new to BB, but how possible would a Dreamcast battery pack and screen attachment mod be? I have a rough sketch showing off what I mean, but I think this would be both easier and would provide more leeway for what I’d need for this. Mind you, I’m not proficient in modding but would like to have this be a decent starter to modding.View attachment 30801
This seems like a rather “straight forward” mod. The hardest part would be finding a clean way of connecting the voltage lines from the base to the system power.

The same could be said for audio/video.

Also (for me specifically) 3D modeling if you’re going to use that would be hard as hell.

With a little research you should be able to come up with a solution that you enjoy.

Best of luck!

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, since I’m new to BB, but how possible would a Dreamcast battery pack and screen attachment mod be? I have a rough sketch showing off what I mean, but I think this would be both easier and would provide more leeway for what I’d need for this. Mind you, I’m not proficient in modding but would like to have this be a decent starter to modding.
If you use a PicoPSU or similar for the Dreamcast (5-12v DC in rather than 120v-240v AC) this sort of mod would be mostly trivial.

This seems like a rather “straight forward” mod. The hardest part would be finding a clean way of connecting the voltage lines from the base to the system power.

The same could be said for audio/video.

Also (for me specifically) 3D modeling if you’re going to use that would be hard as hell.

With a little research you should be able to come up with a solution that you enjoy.

Best of luck!
Honestly I feel like gutting a portable DVD player for its screen could work well since I want to try to make this sorta simple. As for the battery, I have no idea how to make PCBs and connections for these sorts of things :’) I do know a Pico Supply would be best for this project most likely

If you use a PicoPSU or similar for the Dreamcast (5-12v DC in rather than 120v-240v AC) this sort of mod would be mostly trivial.
How easy would that be for what I want out of this project? And also how compact would a PicoSupply be?

/DSA/

Im new to console trimming and im trying to trim a wii as my first project
I have this small doohickey from a raspberry pi kit
it can take in 9 volts and output 3.3 and 5 volts, Can this be used as a custom power regulator for the wii OMGWTF trim
and if so how can i also have an output of 1 volt .

WIN_20231125_01_13_12_Pro.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-25 012414.png

Secondly, if i can't use the previously mentioned power regulator, can i do something with a raspberry pi pico to create a regulator?

bazoo

Hello there.

A friend of mine gave me a fully functional 6 inch CRT TV (Roadstar CTV-500) as a gift.
IMG_20231207_141044.jpg

We were discussing how cool it would be to mod it to include RGB support and then i had the idea of modding a Wii directly inside it, given that both run at 12v, with an aperture for GC controller ports, to have a fully portable Melee setup. I opened the CRT to see if there was enough space. I think there's a chance a trimmed Wii could fit inside, specially if the antenna tuning module gets removed.

IMG_20231207_153313.jpg

IMG_20231207_153229.jpg

IMG_20231207_153243.jpg

Has anyone modded a Wii directly into a CRT?

i am looking to make a portable wii very similar to the one in the photos i want to have the screen built into the side and the battery inside. i do not want to trim the board. i am interested in learning what screen to buy, how to wire the componets together, and how to make it so i can switch from having the display and power being used inside and switch to using a outside power and display by a button or switch. this is my first project with this type of stuff so i will need help figuring stuff out. i currently have a black wii so a 4 layer board as i heard it takes less power.

Attachments

i am looking to make a portable wii very similar to the one in the photos i want to have the screen built into the side and the battery inside. i do not want to trim the board. i am interested in learning what screen to buy, how to wire the componets together, and how to make it so i can switch from having the display and power being used inside and switch to using a outside power and display by a button or switch. this is my first project with this type of stuff so i will need help figuring stuff out. i currently have a black wii so a 4 layer board as i heard it takes less power.
Hello! The information you are looking for is in these sections of the forum:

Hope you enjoy it!

Hi all,

Last August I mistakenly shorted my 5V to GND on the GC 2 of my maybe 75% complete G-wii and fried basically all the components. At that point the 5” VGA screen still worked, but back then I had to shelve the project and now that I have some time I rewire PMS and PD to find my screen is no longer working. Many of the pages that were around for the zj050na 08c seem to have disappeared, so I am not certain why this screen would not work. Is the keypad necessary for the screen to power on? Do you expect the screen is no longer good? Is it necessary to find a new one?
IMG_3450.jpeg
Would it be advisable to remove the plastic keypad connector and solder directly to the board?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi all,

Last August I mistakenly shorted my 5V to GND on the GC 2 of my maybe 75% complete G-wii and fried basically all the components. At that point the 5” VGA screen still worked, but back then I had to shelve the project and now that I have some time I rewire PMS and PD to find my screen is no longer working. Many of the pages that were around for the zj050na 08c seem to have disappeared, so I am not certain why this screen would not work. Is the keypad necessary for the screen to power on? Do you expect the screen is no longer good? Is it necessary to find a new one?
View attachment 31282
Would it be advisable to remove the plastic keypad connector and solder directly to the board?
The OSD control pad is not needed for the screen to run. It's hard to diagnose screen issues, but if the 5v supply is good then it's probable that the screen/board has died

Is the circled pad (green wire) an acceptable ground point assuming 5V (blue wire) is going to the inductor pad?
IMG_3450.jpeg

I'm afraid I don't know. I don't have any of those boards on hand to check
Well no worries. Thanks for the reply at any rate. I have gone ahead and ordered a new board, but it looks like this is going back on the shelf for awhile now unfortunately.

Portables
Haven't made one and probably never will... :(
I remember that people say that the original Nintendo 2DS is quite ergonomic due to it lacking a hinge making it perfect for adults' hands but that the New 2DS XL wasn't as ergonomic as his original hingeless counterpart

Now I just wanna say that I prefer a 3DS model that has bigger screens, which is why I like my New 3DS XL, but I wished I had a 2DS instead but its screens are smaller than the console that I own...

Which is why I had this idea for who knows how long ago (becasue I don't remember when I thought of that): what if the New 2DS XL had a similar hingeless design as the 2DS?

idk if it would be possible to make a hingeless version of the New 2DS XL, but if it does, then I would be happy to know! :D